Mike Meyers Vs Exam Cram

PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it me, or does the Mike Meyers book seem to be all over the place and not in logical order like the Exam Cram? I feel as if the Exam Cram is better put together and also lists the necessities. Instead of having extra added sh*t to put it simply. Now the only question I have is does the Mike Meyers book have things that the Exam Cram doesn't that will be on the test? I know you should use Multiple Sources but Meyers book is over 1200 pages long. (2x longer than exam cram)

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I am currently reading Mike Meyers book, and I picked up the Exam cram book yesterday for the 9.99 eBook of the day. I just purchased the exam cram practice questions for 9.99 today. I have not started to read the exam cram book. Mike's book is a lot of reading that is really all that I can comment on the book as of now.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1200 pages long for A+.......reckon that's way too much info personally, I mean even some of the MS press books are not that huge. Maybe a lot of frivilous reading, may I suguest using another source. I found the Jean Andrews book very good, maybe a little too indepth also, but got me through no worries. Perhaps one of the best I ever used <and this was after I had completed most study and just refreshing for exam> was the A+ PC technician's pocket reference, I still use it from time to time. It is almost a concise read of the exam objectives and essentially covers much of the hardware....but great reference just the same.
    The Wings of Technology
  • PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Quin... I'll check it out
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I read the Meyers book when I took my A+ and I loved it. It's long, but he has a great writing style that just flows. I think I spent about 2 or 3 weeks reading through that and passing the exams.
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    I utilized Mike Meyers book for A+. I did feel the book was too long. At the end of the book I sometimes had a hard time recalling what I read in the beginning. I read a chapter a night on weekdays and two chapters a day on weekends. My brain hurt. I'd read four of his chapters then go back, load up the included practice test software and do his practice chapter tests to firm up the knowledge.

He must be doing something right though, I passed the test. Went on to use him for Net+ as well.

I can certainly understand how his method would not work for some people though.
  • ChronoChrono Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought meyers book a while back and am currently prepping for the A+ . When I started actually going through it I thought wow 1200 pages, exam cram covers that in 600 pages so I bought the exam cram book - I like it WAAAAY better - concise and to the point.
  • JL15219JL15219 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow I thought I was the only one that thought that the Mike Meyers Book was super long.....maybe I should also try the exam cram.......600 pages sounds a lot easier to read than 1200 pages.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike Meyers book is huge, but it's not like it's written in textbook language. I had read his book when going for the A+ when it had the 301 and 302 series. Before the days of Professor Messer. LOL. While I didn't need to "learn" anything, whatever I felt I might be weak on, he shored me up. His book and the transcenders practice exams were enough for me to pass the A+ exams one time each. I never have to take them again. :) Network+ was the same deal.

Exam Crap on the other hand...is just that. Very light on material and I would not feel confident using that as a sole source.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Sometimes I feel like the book gets redundant but overall after the 11 chapters that I've read I think its a good book. I personally am reading that and exam cram. I will probably go through Messers' videos as my last source of information.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't get me wrong. I am not mocking him as an Author, but his Network+ was way better than his A+ in my opinion. His network+ was even a lil long but at least I could categorize stuff and put them in a way that worked for me to break it down to myself . With his A+ I feel like it's too redundant and I can't grasp the concepts as well. With the Exam Cram I feel as if everything syncs together nicely and flows. Also it's less jargon and more need to know for the test (which isn't always a good thing if you don't already know)
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike Meyers does have a good book in A+ but I think the way it's presented (not concise IMHO) makes Exam Cram the better option. The questions are tougher with Mike Meyers in my opinion so it probably will prepare you better. That's in exchange with the length of time you'll spend reading the thing.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP