Options

Microsoft going back to the MCSE title for 2012 technology??? Private Cloud and SQL

Comments

• Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Visited Microsoft Certification site today and have had a clearer picture of the certification path, which it affirms my study plan :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After further thought, I honestly believe that requiring re-certification is good for our profession. Hopefully it will make IT Professionals seem more professional.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For those that have been asking about the MCITP:EA I found this:
    "If you currently possess the MCITP: SA or MCITP:EA, you will be awarded the MCSA at the end of April." in The 60-Day Private Cloud Certification Challenge

Personally I am annoyed that my EA only counts for MCSA as the EA tests are more difficult. I am also annoyed that to achieve the coveted "MCSE" I have to certify in technologies that my employer will, more than likely, never implement. I'm saying I let my certs define me, just that this has me a little pissed.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I honestly believe that requiring re-certification is good for our profession. Hopefully it will make IT Professionals seem more professional.
    ISO/IEC 17024 requires that a certification be renewed and that is how all "lifetime" certs are now trending.
  • Options
    I posted this on comment on the MS:Born to Learn article:
    "TLeTourneau 04-16-2012 4:05 PM
    Well, I'm annoyed. To get the new MCSE title I would have to get certified in a technology that we will never use. I do not think this was well thought out by MS. I agree with others that have stated that MCITP:EA should be converted to a non-cloud version of MCSE."

I received this reply:
    "Ken Rosen (Microsoft) 04-16-2012 4:51 PM
    @TLeTourneau: We will be releasing several MCSE credentials next year--we've only announced the first three so far (Private Cloud, Data Platform, and Business Intelligence). Stay tuned for more announcements closer to the availability of the next version of Windows Server: Private Cloud will not be the the only MCSE certification based on that product.<SNIP>"

Just thought I'd share.

I'm also not againt renewed certification.
    Thanks, Tom

• Options
    amplifyamplify Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good info TLeT, thanks!
  • Options
    elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like the way for example the CCNA expires and has to be renewed but I can't see how you successfully apply that to product specific Microsoft certifications.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is most cloud computing (public, private, hybrid) done on ms platforms or nix?
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Apparently you now have to recertify more often.

so lets see.... $1500 for 10 certs every 4 years. Still cheaper then a 4 year degree. icon_cheers.gif
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Typically they have an upgrade path, so it would likely only be 2 tests every 3 or 4 years
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well good thing I hardly started my 2008 cert track...my procrastination pays off..in a way now I have to re-plan
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

I want to be a Microsoft certified solution engineer expert professional of information technology sargent shooter to the max extreme
    MCSEEPITSSME
    meh
  • Options
    cjspooncjspoon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am still studing for A+, N+, 701 and 702, from which I purchased a $$ course from New Horizon, should I contact them to find out if the material I am studing for will be vaild, by the time I do go and take the test.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I posted this on comment on the MS:Born to Learn article:
    "TLeTourneau 04-16-2012 4:05 PM
    Well, I'm annoyed. To get the new MCSE title I would have to get certified in a technology that we will never use. I do not think this was well thought out by MS. I agree with others that have stated that MCITP:EA should be converted to a non-cloud version of MCSE."

I received this reply:
    "Ken Rosen (Microsoft) 04-16-2012 4:51 PM
    @TLeTourneau: We will be releasing several MCSE credentials next year--we've only announced the first three so far (Private Cloud, Data Platform, and Business Intelligence). Stay tuned for more announcements closer to the availability of the next version of Windows Server: Private Cloud will not be the the only MCSE certification based on that product.<SNIP>"
    I'm inclined to think it will be a one-or-two-test path for MCITP:EA holders to "upgrade" to a similar-scope "MCSE" certification. That said, it would not surprise me greatly if the test material ends up being Server 8, with no path on the current technology.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am glad to see the MCITP:EA's getting a chance to migrate back to the new/old naming convention :) Old from the MCSE point and new from the lack of engineer in the title. Regardless MCSE is what is should of been along. I think when it's all said and done all the MCITP's will be taken care of if not already.

I hope it remains lifetime. All you 2008 MS guys and gals should be grandfathered into the new/old naming convention.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    All you 2008 MS guys and gals should be grandfathered into the new/old naming convention.

Correct. Transcripts have been updated.

qxXwT.jpg
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My transcript was updated with the "new" MCSA, and the MCITP: SA is still on it as well.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Confirmed. I got the email stating my transcript was updated as well. I am now a MCSA:2008. Guess I don't have to take the SA now...
  • Options
    elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what are peoples thoughts on getting the MCITP:EA at the moment if you don't already have it? To me it seems like it is pointless while its not worthless, it is worth less that what is was before they decided to make this change. Really puts my certification plans on hold, guess its time to attempt the CCNA

Why can't Microsoft just confirm if there will be a standard MCSE certification (not private cloud) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    elad123 wrote: »
    So what are peoples thoughts on getting the MCITP:EA at the moment if you don't already have it? To me it seems like it is pointless while its not worthless, it is worth less that what is was before they decided to make this change. Really puts my certification plans on hold, guess its time to attempt the CCNA

Why can't Microsoft just confirm if there will be a standard MCSE certification (not private cloud) icon_sad.gif

I've been following developments at the B2L site where TLeTourneau made his inquiry. Between that and the transcript change this is what is happening: While I now have confirmation that the MCITP:EA is not exactly worthless, it's still kind of disheartening that that amount of effort (and money...) spent on earning a high level cert just became the same as a cert that you only need three exams instead of five. Those exams were not easy, to say the least, yet Microsoft basically gave them both the same weight.

That more than anything else is a bit disheartening.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to see I'm not going crazy, I so was not expecting the email I got saying I was an MCSA just now. Checked my transcript and it shows the same, interestingly enough it still shows the MCITP as well so I wonder if they'll be removing that later down the road or if it will actually look as if I have two separate Server 2008 pro level certs.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    I don't think the MCSA counts as a pro level certification in the new scheme.
    Thanks, Tom

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just got the update too
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    buzzkill wrote: »
    Correct. Transcripts have been updated.

qxXwT.jpg

Windows Server 2008 Core ?????

I got mine update too but ..

2lw91ki.gif

* confused *
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Mine shows up sans Core as well. But my notification e-mail says Core.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is mental ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote: »
    Mine shows up sans Core as well. But my notification e-mail says Core.

I believe "core" here is reference to the core certification rather than to Server Core. This is similar to the confusion caused by the 3 products that had WSS as their abbreviation. Or when developers sometimes refer to the Client Object Model in SharePoint as COM in casual Internet posts. It's caused enough confusion that developers are now starting to use the term CSOM (client-side object model) even though it is NEVER referred to as such in any MS documentation.
  • Options
    MrdrawMrdraw Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone break this down for me please?

I am about to start studying for 70-640, then 643 and then 646. These books will now get me a MCSA: Windows Server 2008 right?

What is needed to get a MCSE after that?

Thanks for the help

P
  • Options
    GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have an MCSA2008 now but it's clear the extra effort in taking the MCITP:EA was pointless and a waste of time and money.

The certs shouldn't expire if they are versioned; I thought the last system was the right one. The 2008 exams last as long as the product does and that's how it should be because they would become worthless naturally but still useful to legacy environments.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Has anyone noticed that the MCITP:SA / MCSA:2008 no longer requires a client exam?

This was of particular interest to me since my MCSA:2003 includes the XP exam. So, from what I see, I don't need to take the 70-680 to upgrade to MCSA:2008. Just the 648/646.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V