Options

Remote access...

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
I finally got my home lab setup, and I am looking for some remote access options for accessing my network. I know a bit about the setup, but can someone who is a little more knowledgable about Radius and such provide some incite about the different methods used? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    What exactly are you trying to acheive? do you want to be able to access your whole rack remotely? or to simply setup one remote access acount using a Radius server, TACAS is also worth considering as an alternative.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    A very simple and cheap way to do it is to just allow RDC connections to a PC at home that is connected to your lab. I use a Windows 2000 server as a Terminal server, have it loaded up with serial cards, and have everything connected to it via console cable, that way I can access everything via console. You could just as easily use one com connection and branch out fron there via telnet, but I like to really break stuff and I dont have an access router like a 2511 or 2611.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Not a bad idea, let me see if that works for me.

Can anyone tell me how Radius is setup? Has anyone ever setup telnet access through a residential NAT?
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    telnet through residential NAT works just fine. May be a better solution than my previuos suggestion if you have a low upload speed. Havent played around with RADIUS.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Noods wrote:
    Not a bad idea, let me see if that works for me.

Can anyone tell me how Radius is setup? Has anyone ever setup telnet access through a residential NAT?

I havn't messed with radius eihter, but I have setup telnet through a residential NAT. Just creat an ACL with the IP you are telneting from.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    TACACS and Radius are a bit extreme for home network setups, unless you just want the experience of doing it, and even then, you'd better know how to do it easier way (ie, ssh or rdp through nat) first. Gotta learn to walk before you can crawl.

Telneting over a public network is bad juju.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=