Question from Odoms book

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

Reading Odoms ICND1 book and one of the questions is...
Which of the following protocols are examples of tcp/ip network access layer protocols...choose 2
A) Ethernet
B) http
C) IP
D) UDP
E) SMTP
F) TCP
G) PPP

The answers are a and g. I thought Network access layer would have been IP at least no? Does A and G seem correct?

Comments

• zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    The network access layer is the bottom of the TCP/IP model. Converted to the OSI model, it would be equivalent to layer 1 and 2, physical and datalink. When you think about it in terms of the OSI model, you will see that IP exists primarily at layer 3, the Network Layer where IP addressing exists.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, (a) and (g) are correct. It's a tricky question--they asked about the "network access layer" rather than the "network layer". What should have given you pause, even if you'd never heard of it, is noticing that only one network-layer protocol (IP) was provided and you had to pick two choices. Consider what the NIC in an Ethernet NIC card stands for--network interface card. Also consider that the access layer in the core-distribution-access model usually involves L2 switching. L2 may be referred to as the data-link layer, link layer, network interface layer, or network access layer.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Totally understand it now. I wasn't thinking Tcp/Ip model.....more Osi and the network layer. Didn't pay attention to the question at all! I actually like the way it was worded now I look at it.
    Thanks both for clearing that up.