Home lab for resource management....LIKE A BOSS!!

LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently wired my house with CAT6, which allowed me to move all of the connections of my U-Verse Set Top Boxes over to my 3550 switch. Well the other day I was calling my daughter, who was in her room watching TV. She was acting like she didn't hear me. At this point, I used my iPhone to log into the switch, and issued a "shut" on the port going to her room, which killed all network traffic to her room. Lo and behold she magically appeared from her room. I didn't even have to get up out of my seat... LIKE A BOSS!!! icon_cool.gif
My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!

Comments

• SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Dad: 1 Daughter: 0

Genius sir.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Wow, that is pretty awesome. Nice setup!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread makes me happy. +1
    :study:
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Totally awesome!!!
    God deserves my best
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it just me thinking about this :

Like A Boss (ft. Seth Rogen) - Uncensored Version - YouTube

When reading the thread title :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Nice. The TV in my kids' playroom is plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a switch on the wall. I've gone and flipped the switch to shut it off when they aren't listening.

I've "broken the internet" by turning off the wireless before when my wife is sitting around and not getting things done around the house.... but shh don't tell her that. :P It is amazing how much more stuff gets done when she can't watch TV or surf the web. :P
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Is it just me thinking about this :

Like A Boss (ft. Seth Rogen) - Uncensored Version - YouTube

When reading the thread title :D

I was gonna quote the last couple of lines from Seth Rogen, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Especially the "And at one point...." LMAO.

As for everything else, awesomeness!! LOL.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This was always how i got my bros attention, he use to hammer my internet when I lived at home. (and I paid).

I had preset set up for how piss at him I was.

no restrictions if I was in a good mood. about 30% just to get his attention. and if he didnet respond turn it of.

he soon learnt to come running when I called :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    This was always how i got my bros attention, he use to hammer my internet when I lived at home. (and I paid).

I had preset set up for how piss at him I was.

no restrictions if I was in a good mood. about 30% just to get his attention. and if he didnet respond turn it of.

he soon learnt to come running when I called :)

I did that in our shared house .. in fact I was even worse .. I was the guy who paid for the phone and broadband bill (5 blokes sharing a house) and each month I chased for the money so I limited the wireless bandwidth to 5% .. with my reserved MAC to 95% :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I recently wired my house with CAT6, which allowed me to move all of the connections of my U-Verse Set Top Boxes over to my 3550 switch. Well the other day I was calling my daughter, who was in her room watching TV. She was acting like she didn't hear me. At this point, I used my iPhone to log into the switch, and issued a "shut" on the port going to her room, which killed all network traffic to her room. Lo and behold she magically appeared from her room. I didn't even have to get up out of my seat... LIKE A BOSS!!! icon_cool.gif

+1 to you sir. Fantastic.
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I've got 1000 feet of Cat5 in the closet that I've been thinking of running. This may just motivate me to do it, especially for when my daughter gets older.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Boss is strong in this one. +3 bosspoints to you good sir.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I use a ticketing system to assign the family their chores. If someone isn't doing what they're supposed to and playing on the computer instead, I have the proxy server (yes, I run a proxy on my home network) redirect all of their web traffic to the ticketing site. I'll also shut down the port to kill the TV if I have to, but I'm far more likely just to make the cable box disappear for a week or so to get my point across.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 Rep for any awesomeness that has transpired in this room.

I feel like I ate some herbal medicine and went into an Indian sweat lodge.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's why I always laugh when I think about ever having kids. They will get away with nothing related to the internet/technology buwhahahahaha!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    I use a ticketing system to assign the family their chores. If someone isn't doing what they're supposed to and playing on the computer instead, I have the proxy server (yes, I run a proxy on my home network) redirect all of their web traffic to the ticketing site. I'll also shut down the port to kill the TV if I have to, but I'm far more likely just to make the cable box disappear for a week or so to get my point across.

This is truly epic.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

My mom used "sneaker net" when I was a kid. She took her shoe off and hit me with it if I was not listening.
    This is truly epic.

Now, understand this works both ways... the woman knows how to use the ticketing system too. She's figured out that if she emails tickets@, stuff goes directly to *my* queue, so the honeydew list has been digitized.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Now, understand this works both ways... the woman knows how to use the ticketing system too. She's figured out that if she emails tickets@, stuff goes directly to *my* queue, so the honeydew list has been digitized.

Eeep! Kill it with fire!!
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha, thanks folks. I had originally wired my house so that I could take all of my set top boxes off of coaxial cable, and put them on RJ-45 Ethernet. The reason being is that I wanted everything to go through my 881W router (when I get it setup). This little incident revealed the true management power within.... Mwuhuhahahahah!

I've been having a problem with my wife and my mom (who lives with us) watching too much TV. This will be solved soon.

Foresaken_GA, that ticketing system is HARDCORE! I may have to implement something like that around here...lol!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    My mom used "sneaker net" when I was a kid. She took her shoe off and hit me with it if I was not listening.

Yep mine too.....
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For real, I do give the OP props for thinking outside the box, no question and "like a boss", but just going "old school" and physically taking away the TV, Internet, etc, does wonders too. :) Anything else, is seriously passive aggression, and my father did not subscribe to that at all....when I have kids, neither will I. :)
    Yeah, "old school" still applies around my house as well. They know what is always an option. I just wanted to mess with her mind. That is where you truly win.
    Foresaken_GA, that ticketing system is HARDCORE! I may have to implement something like that around here...lol!

Well, I know for most folks it's weird. For me, I've been dealing with ticketing systems for the majority of my career. When you're in operations, tickets are a fact of life.

So when I was doing the time management thing, it was perfectly natural for me to install a ticketing system to use as my own to-do list, so I've been doing that for years.

When it came time to keep track of the household's work, it just seemed natural to extend it. And the kids think it's cool, getting to use a grown up toy.

Of course, I guess the side effect is that I'm helping to raise the next generation of tech support goons....
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□

I would not dare attempt that on my wife, and at 2 years old the little one is a bit young for it now. But I will remember this for later :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    1. Epic
    2. What kind of hardware are you using to put cable boxes on RJ-45? Can this be done with any cable boxes such as Sci-Atlanta? The modems for the cable/internet convert coaxial somehow to ethernet, but as I recall, I couldn't interchange the coaxial cable for the modem with the one for the TV
    The U-Verse set top boxes have RJ-45 connections on the back, as well as coax. I just switched everything over to the RJ-45 connections, disabled the HPNA (coax) interface on my residential gateway, and hooked everything into my 3550 switch. Fast Ethernet Port 1 of the switch is connected to one of the LAN ports on the RG, and is in "switchport mode access". I also turned on IGMP snooping on the vlan based on some stuff I read online.
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□

I bow before your awesomeness. And also a little ticked off that I didn't think of that. :)
  • epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what ticketing system are you using ?