Options

What job can you get with just a CCNA

mike121mike121 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm wondering if anyone in the forum have just their CCNA Certification and no work experiences nor any other certifications/degrees/technical school, was able to find a job in the field. So yeah, plain and simple, were you able to get a job with only your ccna?

Comments

• Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, nowadays, CCNA without experience means nothing. Do degree and get experience as technician. It means something only when you have experience or you try to get technician role, and it's prove your ability. Usually in any job required network knowledge , so if you pass CCNA without cheating you have network knowledge and you will be able to pass screen test or interview test. Do not expect any high pay job, just try a technician job and degree.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Just a CCNA? Probably get an internship or foot in the door with some networking team/mentoring program. However, if you have 5+ years of IT experience, a CCNA, as well as a degree of some sort... Probably a well paid position with a larger corporation. A certification doesn't mean much if you haven't actually put what you have learned to the test, or had to utilize those skill-sets in a live environment.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the only thing you are working with is the CCNA your attitude and aptitude will definitely come into play. You just have to convince someone to take a chance on you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    greenerek wrote: »
    No, nowadays, CCNA without experience means nothing.
    I know many companies who pay in the moderately high five figures for CCNA + degree + <no-experience>. I've hired several people with such qualifications. A degree alone, or a CCNA alone, wouldn't merit even a phone screen. However, at a startup we did hire someone with a few CCNA specializations, no degree, no experience, and a great attitude.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network Veteran is right on the money. CCNA+Degree is a beautiful combination.

I've told this story before I'll tell it again. It synchs up with this topic.

I used to visit a cigar bar everyday after work. I got to know several regulars, two of which worked for AT&T. After about 9 months of going in and out of the cigar bar one of the guys who was a network admin/unix admin asked if I wanted to opportunity to apply for a NOC/junior unix admin position. He knew very little about my experience, but knew I was in IT. He asked me if I wanted to apply I said sure. He said there was only two conditions. I had my degree or equalivent experience, at the time 4 total years of IT and a bachelors. I'm sure you can guess what he asked for next, the CCNA. I told him I had some experience and network + and he looked at me and said sorry that's the requirements, but if/when you get your CCNA and get back with me and we will bring you in for an interview.

AT&T is a huge service provider and I'm sure Verizon and other companies are similar. That CCNA is probably the most beneficial certification an entry level - mid level technician can get.

At the time I was making high 30's if I had the CCNA at that time and did well in the interview I would of been making high 40's with a lot of growth.

-Sad day for sure
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know many companies who pay in the moderately high five figures for CCNA + degree + <no-experience>.

Please name a few! There are plenty people that come through here with those qualifications and can't find a job, much less one in the "moderately high five figures."
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Please name a few! There are plenty people that come through here with those qualifications and can't find a job, much less one in the "moderately high five figures."

Networker, if you spot anyone with a degree (CS/EE) who holds a valid CCNA open to working in Northern California, please send them my way. I'd be happy to try to hook them up. :)

PS - Seriously!

PSS - And that goes for anyone else reading, too.
  • Options
    HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's still difficult over here in the UK.

I have two degrees, CCNA, CCDA, 5 years experience working with stuff from HP Superdomes to Citrix netscalers.

Over here, unless you have the absolute dedicated experience (usually in everything) you are pretty stuck.

If you are lucky and have your CCNA/Degree, you might be able to get a job on about £17k (~$26000).
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Hypersonic is right about the UK market (i'm from Newcastle-under-Lyme). Unless your in a high profile place (i.e London/Manchester/BHam) the outlook is very bleak. Lots of places lay down a lot of requirements and I hear for each position your looking at 50+ applicants. I currently have a degree + ccent/ccna/working on CCNP + 7 year exp and am considering moving to another job for less pay simply because it will involve more networking and I already don't make the national average wage.

CCNA in the UK ..... don't expect anything
    CCNA in the US ..... may be a different story. I know someone in US with CCNA earning $45K
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networker, if you spot anyone with a degree (CS/EE) who holds a valid CCNA open to working in Northern California, please send them my way. I'd be happy to try to hook them up. :)

PS - Seriously!

Where abouts in CA? My fiance and I have been looking at moving out of our current state - just waiting for her to finish her Graphic Design degree.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hypersonik wrote: »

I have two degrees, CCNA, CCDA, 5 years experience working with stuff from HP Superdomes to Citrix netscalers.

Over here, unless you have the absolute dedicated experience (usually in everything) you are pretty stuck.

If you are lucky and have your CCNA/Degree, you might be able to get a job on about £17k (~$26000).

That's one reason why I got out of the UK when I could! No offense. That and most people are very idiotic about a lot of stuff. I worked for a company before I left the UK as a part-time jr network admin... My manager didn't know too much about anything - when I told him that I was moving to America he came up with the typical British thought of what America is "full of burgers, dumb people and fat people". I can definitely point out to most people, that is completely wrong... Though, yes, there are some fat people, but England is full of loads of fat people, too.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the degree is most of the what counts rather than the CCNA. I have seen some places hire without experience for mid or low level positions with a degree because I think they hope you will be more loyal and stay longer vs somebody with some experience.

There are just too many variables to just break it down to "degree+CCNA+no experience=job".
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    when I told him that I was moving to America he came up with the typical British thought of what America is "full of burgers, dumb people and fat people". I can definitely point out to most people, that is completely wrong... Though, yes, there are some fat people, but England is full of loads of fat people, too.
    LOL, never a truer word said. There is that myth that all American's are fat and stupid - but really it's just cause there is so many people that we get to hear some weird stories. And I have to laugh at the people that say that - cause you can walk down the street in Dublin or London or wherever and see the same number of fat people - now abroad in France/Germany they are a bit skinnier but it's a bit patronising for people in Ireland & the UK to throw those words around - cause it's no different here.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I really think we've been socially brainwashed into believing that we all need a degree. I don't want to rehash this whole college debate that's been reiterated on this board numerous times because when I have the money, I'll be enrolling in WGU to get the highly coveted piece of paper as well. Have to love conformity. Read the Great College Hoax article written by Forbes Magazine or watch the College Conspiracy and you'll get taste of how this wonderful College Bubble is creating nothing but a mountain of debt and a whole lot of pieces of paper being printed. I'm in some debt myself for enrolling in a worthless trade school 10 years ago that took me for all I'm worth promising riches the whole ride. No, no, I have a different qualm all-together.

PS - Seriously!

Seriously? So unless I have the capitol to drop $15,000 - $60,000 on a bachelors degree, I won't even get the privilege of a phone screen? I've made it fairly apparent that I have the theoretical knowledge, at least at the entry level by acquiring my CCNA, the determination and desire to succeed in Networking and live in the Bay Area. What will the degree really bring to the table that will help me succeed with configuring a router or designing a network? I'm looking for something entry level like a Junior Network Admin or a NOC Technician. We're talking IT here. This is not a field that benefits at the same level as other professions by having a degree.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    I really think we've been socially brainwashed into believing that we all need a degree. I don't want to rehash this whole college debate that's been reiterated on this board numerous times because when I have the money, I'll be enrolling in WGU to get the highly coveted piece of paper as well. Have to love conformity. Read the Great College Hoax article written by Forbes Magazine or Watch the College Conspiracy and you'll get taste of how this wonderful College Bubble is creating nothing but a mountain of debt and a whole lot of pieces of paper being printed. I'm in some debt myself for enrolling in a worthless trade school 10 years ago that took me for all I'm worth promising riches the whole ride. No, no, I have a different qualm all-together.

Seriously? So unless I have the capitol to drop $15,000 - $60,000 on a bachelors degree, I won't even get the privilege if a phone screen? I've made it fairly apparent that I have the theoretical knowledge, at least at the entry level by acquiring my CCNA, the determination and desire to succeed in Networking and live in the Bay Area. What will the degree really bring to the table that will help me succeed with configuring a router or designing a network? I'm looking for something entry level like a Junior Network Admin or a NOC Technician. We're talking IT here. This is not a field that benefits at the same level as other professions by having a degree.

*applauds*

I couldn't have said it better myself
    (Note I'm not in the Northern CA area, so don't have a dog in the race, other than my lack of a degree, 2 years worth of focused Cisco studying and the hopes my NOC job will EVENTUALLY let me start doing actual config/troubleshooting work more than once per blue moon)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although I'll point out my CCNA is, as far as I know, what got me the NOC job. On the other hand, I was the only one there with a certification for the longest time. Eventually a 2nd person was hired, but they've moved on to greener pastures. One of the new hires has a CCENT, I believe.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seriously? So unless I have the capitol to drop $15,000 - $60,000 on a bachelors degree, I won't even get the privilege of a phone screen? I've made it fairly apparent that I have the theoretical knowledge, at least at the entry level by acquiring my CCNA, the determination and desire to succeed in Networking and live in the Bay Area. What will the degree really bring to the table that will help me succeed with configuring a router or designing a network? I'm looking for something entry level like a Junior Network Admin or a NOC Technician. We're talking IT here. This is not a field that benefits at the same level as other professions by having a degree.
    I agree to some extent, WGU is the way to go. You have to understand that the UK & the US have very low social mobility - that means it's very hard for somebody to come from nothing and be rich, so if you have a rich father/mother = a rich son/daughter. And college education costs in the US & the UK are rising at an enormous rate, why? cause without you won't be considered for many jobs and that enables colleges to charge whatever the hell they want cause they know it makes a difference to people's future incomes. You may not like it, but that's the system/marketplace.

On average there is about 60% of people that go through college education and only 40% of those complete it - so for the best paying jobs, it's only natural they will filter applications for people with college education - they are the top 25% and then if they have certifications on top of that you get in to the 15% etc. and that's the filtering process to get the best candidate. It's nothing personal, it's just logic.

Now I understand, cause I dropped out of college and do intend to go back. But you need to keep plugging away at it, somewhere will give you an opportunity and you have to grasp the nettle and get college done & the certs as best you can. You may be lucky and never need a college education but over here finishing what you call high-school is a minimum unless you are from a poor area with a poor attitude to learning. And in some countries the majority of people complete college. That's whats meant about the knowledge economy.

Education at a Glance 2011 - Statistics - OECD iLibrary
  • Options
    I've made it fairly apparent that I have the theoretical knowledge, at least at the entry level by acquiring my CCNA, the determination and desire to succeed in Networking and live in the Bay Area.
    You're up against people who had the determination, desire, and aptitude to complete a CS/EE degree (or more) at a decent school plus, spend an extra week or four to pass their CCNA. Yes, on the whole that category of candidate has more theoretical knowledge than you do. No degree + no experience + basic-ccna-only means no phone screen at most companies I've worked with. The last entry-level position I posted I received somewhere between 650 and 850 applicants, and even after using those filters I had plenty to phone screen and choose an excellent candidate from.
    We're talking IT here. This is not a field that benefits at the same level as other professions by having a degree.
    You're free to argue your point.. with anyone willing to phone screen you. :p

It's a big area. I can't help you find a job, but knock on enough doors, and may you find someone who agrees. One startup I worked with once hired someone with multiple CCNAs and no degrees, no experience and a great attitude. You could certify up, too! Another avenue might be taking up a non-networking job that includes some networking to build experience.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    A CCNA *might* get you an interview for an entry level job. After that, its all about wow'ing the people in the interview room. Make it seem like you're eager to learn and give them a reason to remember you. Getting your first job is really the hardest part, but after you start building some years and exp on your resume, its smooth sailing (assuming you're in a location with IT jobs)
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

I have seen this too ... some companies even asking for MCITP:EAs, CCNAs and scripting using C# and other and offer low 20s ... IN LONDON ...

I am lucky I guess .. I worked for a hosting company here in the UK which got me a lot more than that. Now I am working in a financial company in London in IT and make a decent penny .... But funny enough - none of my previous jobs required a CCNA .. in fact .. I worked for large corporates such as Xerox, HP, Symantec and 888.com - I haven't had a single certificate when I worked for them - experience is what they wanted .... only in my last job I was encouraged to get those certs ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Yeah and I've heard in London it's for big boys (& girls!) only - you really need to know your stuff to get anywhere...

Not what i've heard.

London is a case of it's not what you know but who you know!

Coolhandluke - I used to live in NUL and worked for a large online gambling company.

I did exactly as you are thinking to do - moved to another job for a cut in pay.

So now I am the sole network engineer/admin for a small/medium (>1000 people) financial services company which is excellent experience if you can get it!

Asif, I imagine my next position will be Manchester based but the only way you'd get me to London is on £500/day.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I really think we've been socially brainwashed into believing that we all need a degree. I don't want to rehash this whole college debate that's been reiterated on this board numerous times because when I have the money, I'll be enrolling in WGU to get the highly coveted piece of paper as well. Have to love conformity. Read the Great College Hoax article written by Forbes Magazine or watch the College Conspiracy and you'll get taste of how this wonderful College Bubble is creating nothing but a mountain of debt and a whole lot of pieces of paper being printed. I'm in some debt myself for enrolling in a worthless trade school 10 years ago that took me for all I'm worth promising riches the whole ride. No, no, I have a different qualm all-together.

150% Agreed.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I will continue to be perseverant up until the point I'm able to find someone willing to give me a chance and I'm financially able to begin my bachelors studies. If our system had a similar structure as it does currently in Germany, I wouldn't have a problem with the education system as a whole. Over the pond, their able to study for free. Yeah, free. Our education system creates debt and a whole lot of people that have a desire to study and no realistic means.

There is however another issue to contend with. In Germany because of the conformity by acquiring a Bachelors degree, practically everyone has one. It's now become the new High School Diploma. So, they have an over abundance of degree holders that can't even get a job because everyone already has the Bachelors. Most available positions are now stating the requirements to have a Masters. Noticing a pattern and trend here? I have a strong inclination that this is what we'll start to see Stateside as well. Only our problem will be coupled with a massive debt issue.

To the OP.

The CCNA knowledge can't hurt. It's a lot of fun to learn and even if retention is difficult as time passes during the job hunt, you'll pick it up again quickly when it's reiterated. It will still look better than someone with nothing. You'll have no problem getting short Help Desk contract offers and low paying driving positions with it. The personal contacts however, will prove to be one of the most important determining factors in making your searches fruitful.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    AirborneToxicAirborneToxic Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

Crazy, where I work they start the guys who configure the switchs/routers @ 65k... And most of those guys don't even have the CCNA just experience.
  • Options
    NamitaMNamitaM Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

PS - Seriously!

Hi, I just stumbled upon this.. does your offer still holds? I have a Bachelors degree in Engineering(E& C) and passed CCNA recently with a good score(900+) . I am looking for Entry level networking job in silicon valley.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    My younger brother is completing high school this year and my suggestion was if he wanted to get into IT, he should go to college and get some certs instead of wasting 4 years at a university piling up debt. I know close family members who took the latter approach and now they can't even find a job. Has anyone watched College Conspiracy by NIA?

THE COLLEGE CONSPIRACY - YouTube!
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I don't there is one mold or combination of degree+cert+XP that all hiring managers look at...just put your best foot forward with what you got and go for it.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My two cents; You can try advertising yourself on Craigs List, but it's very unlikely you'll get into IT armed with only a CCNA. Companies usually just get people from corporate to do that stuff. In the call centers I've worked for, they hire internally but you have to have a Bachelor's (maybe Associate's is satisfactory) degree and they never mentioned certification. Nevertheless, I don't think any company is going to hire someone off the street to go in and configure their network just because he or she is certified. You'll just have to get a degree to "separate yourself from the masses".