Options

What job can you get with just a CCNA

13»

Comments

• Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hypersonic is right about the UK market (i'm from Newcastle-under-Lyme). Unless your in a high profile place (i.e London/Manchester/BHam) the outlook is very bleak. Lots of places lay down a lot of requirements and I hear for each position your looking at 50+ applicants. I currently have a degree + ccent/ccna/working on CCNP + 7 year exp and am considering moving to another job for less pay simply because it will involve more networking and I already don't make the national average wage.

CCNA in the UK ..... don't expect anything
    CCNA in the US ..... may be a different story. I know someone in US with CCNA earning $45K

Glad it's just not me noticing all of this in the UK! There are many many more jobs asking for Microsoft certs so might get some more of them, specifically server stuff, in the bag as CCNA doesn't seem to carry much weight here. Then again they expect you to be an expert and certified in everything and still pay rubbish as well....
  • Options
    YazideYazide Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Networker, if you spot anyone with a degree (CS/EE) who holds a valid CCNA open to working in Northern California, please send them my way. I'd be happy to try to hook them up. :)

PS - Seriously!

PSS - And that goes for anyone else reading, too.

I am one of them. Can you help?
  • Options
    CommKidCommKid Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Networker, if you spot anyone with a degree (CS/EE) who holds a valid CCNA open to working in Northern California, please send them my way. I'd be happy to try to hook them up. :)

PS - Seriously!

PSS - And that goes for anyone else reading, too.

Hello NetworkVeteran, I know this post was from a very long time ago. But i'm new to the thread, infact i just made a forum account to be able to reply to your post. But I am looking for a way to maybe get in contact with you, I couldn't find anyway of privately messaging you through the forums directly. I'd just like to ask you a few things! Please and thank you for your time!
  • Options
    elshadayelshaday Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First sorry for my intending to change the title. Having those the aforementioned things I am looking for a job in abroad(currently I am living in Ethiopia.) I have a strong interest in developing my carrier in IT profession, would it be possible to find a company which will provide me a job offer? if so, what kind of a site shall I have a look at? Thank you all.
  • Options
    Blake12377Blake12377 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If anyone is looking to get in the door in the field, my company is hiring about 10-15 tier one support reps. Although its a call center, you are in charge of handling both end user issues and also troubleshooting existing equipment on site and also full installs.

I'm pretty sure they start at $14-$16 an hour but the experience is worth a lot more. Everyone that has worked here and then left after getting a CCNA, has never made less then 45K a year.

All you need to know is basic computer knowledge how to remove a static IP and things like that which they will test you during an interview.

The company is in Atlanta GA so if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen many entry level desktop jobs require CCNA. I think the term is so popular these days they just put that down.
  • Options
    Eslam EissaEslam Eissa Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a CCNA certified and have a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering and looking for a Networking positoin
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I wouldn't call a CCNA "JUST" a CCNA.

But an A+ is "JUST" an A+.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I have a CCNA, 3 years desktop support experience (almost a year of that as system admin) and no degree. I've managed to maintain a stable career since starting IT, but I've always been on the lookout for desktop support roles. Now that I'm trying to get into networking, I'm having little luck. I had one hit but it was nothing like I had imagined or wanted to do. It's been a couple of months and it is disheartening that all the job applications are being ignored or declined.

I'm going back to the drawing board to see how I can transition into a network admin/engineer role. Maybe my lack of degree is the cause, IDK. At least I'm 1.5 years away from graduating. icon_cry.gif
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    kcvinaykcvinay Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello, i am recent graduate with masters degree in EE from UMKC. i have recently cleared CCNA in R&S, could please help me in finding a job.
    thank you.
  • Options
    EvelinaEvelina Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! I just passed CCNA Routing & Switching and CompTia A+ certifications. I graduated from college 11 years ago- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. And i don't have any IT work experience.
    I have been searching for an entry level job or internship for the last 2 weeks. And I can't find any position because no experience and no connections in IT field. Anybody can help or advise me where to look for a job in my situation, which companies, etc?? Just anything what would help... I live in NYC
  • Options
    nactnact Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can it be a degree in anything or does it have to be IT related?
  • Options
    nactnact Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know many companies who pay in the moderately high five figures for CCNA + degree + <no-experience>. I've hired several people with such qualifications. A degree alone, or a CCNA alone, wouldn't merit even a phone screen. However, at a startup we did hire someone with a few CCNA specializations, no degree, no experience, and a great attitude.

Can it be any degree or IT related?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol @ all the necroposts. I haven't posted on these forums lately but I can tell you there is a wealth of knowledge and smart people here. Back when I first joined I was also trying to figure out out to get into the field. I ended up leaving the grocery store job back in 2010 and got my A+ and started working at a helpdesk doing tier 1 support. Even though I got really good at solving the problems and the job became easy, I decided it was time to get the hell out of there. Every other aspect of the job was stressful. I knew there was no room for growth and that I was just another mole in a cube farm. So I stayed there for a year total and in that year I pursued my CCNA and obtained it. I applied for jobs an IT Support role with a credit union in my area. Although it was also still tier 1 support, I enjoyed it much more. We supported the companies users as opposed to "customers". Much smaller and relaxed. Along with doing my IT Support duties I also took on bigger tasks from the senior engineer. After 7 months a sys admin position opened up and I applied and got the job. I did that for another 2.5 years consistently with this employer and I did it well. I then got another promotion to network engineer and have been doing that ever since with this employer. I have been with them for 6 years now. I would suggest doing whatI did if you really want to get into networking. There's a lot of details I left out where I used to go home from work all the time and just nerd out on Cisco all night. One thing I have come to realize is that I have an exceptional aptitude for troubleshooting things. So much so that even if it's not necessarily a network issue, I have my fellow team members running ideas off my head things they're troubleshooting. I'm not even trying to sound big headed lol. Good luck folks! Just wanted to drop in and say hello.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    One thing I have come to realize is that I have an exceptional aptitude for troubleshooting things. So much so that even if it's not necessarily a network issue, I have my fellow team members running ideas off my head things they're troubleshooting. I'm not even trying to sound big headed lol.

Of course not... Btw I'm pretty naturally athletic and good at most sports right away even if I haven't played it before. Usually when people pick teams for sports they usually pick me first. Just throwing it out there.

icon_jokercolor.gif