Options

what a long strange trip its been

VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
Well I polished off the CCNP todayicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif...think I got the CCNA in Oct of 2010 and have been studying as much as I could in between ( took a new job and had to focus a lot on learning the new network) so now I am torn between a new job offer with a Cisco gold partner where they want me to head down the voice road or staying put and going for the CCIP like I really want to do. Ether way Cisco has been good to me and I am looking forward to learning more about this crazy network stufficon_thumright.gif
.ιlι..ιlι.
CISCO
"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures

Comments

• Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Congrats!

Do what ever feels right. If your current job is still offering you challenges that keep in interesting than stay put. I personally might be tempted with the the new job but none of us could make the decision for you. :)
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Huge congrats are in order...CCNP is a serious piece of effort to add to your stash of credentials. So was ROUTE the last exam for you?

Update your certs man!

I'm going CCIP, voice is allegedly all the rage but I would rather be strong in route/switch and BGP, MPLS, QOS than go voice specific. Nothing against it, but designing and building large scale provider solutions is just much more interesting and is a more vluable skill long term IMO than just going after voice. I've learned a bunch about voice just working for an SP and having to transport it.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Voice is the popular route (no pun intended) these days. But honestly if you're going for a certificate, and reading up on something for so long - I think staying with the core is the best idea.

More so if you're going for any professional certification, I think you've already decided that you're going to be in it for the long haul. Might as well make sure you have a solid foundation of what everything else rides ontop of - Routing and Switching.

It's expensive, takes so much time, and frankly is hard material. But damn it's good fun. ...Unless you're already in a position where you're using voice daily, i think R+S would be best. It's why im fighting my boss (whose not paying my test costs) for CCNP. Secretly, he doesn't know im going to pickup NA:V before SWITCH :)icon_study.gif

Stick with what you love. If you love something, you'll find passion and the strength to endure the worst days at work. Then most days work won't seem like working!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on the NP VAHokie56 !! Good stuff! Sounds like you have an interesting decision to make between going to voice or the CCIP path.. I'm sure it'll work out for you either way.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi