VCP finally Material Reviewed

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
After almost three months of studying, labbing and taking the required class I finally tool the exam this afternoon. Like my other certs I over prepared. I was wanting for the week to end just to get it out of the way. Walked away with a 483.

I first watched the CBT Nuggets and thought they were just OK. I do not recommend them. They were too high level and did not touch upon the material well.

I then watched trainsignal and their videos were well worth it. They went into good amount of the material. But like most CBTs it only covers 60% of the test.

Watching the video before taking the class really helped. I was the "expert" lol in the class because I already seen the material.

The class I took was at teh local community college taught by a guy who works for VMware. It was over 5 Saturdays and it only cost 600.00.

Scott Lowes book covered everything on the exam and then some. I plan on reading some of the chapters again to get a better understanding.

In the last week before the exam I read VMware vSphere 5 Clustering Technical Deepdive which was awesome. It was a great book to bring it all together. In my other certs I would read an exam cram type book the final week to review the main pieces. This did the same thing and even had information I never saw in Scott's book.

Last, I built a nested ESXi home lab. I have that most on this forum.

I also work with ESXi 5 at work in a production enviroment so that helped as well. Now onto EMC's cert before going back for my CCNP.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats!

Great resource review. I'll be taking the course at my local CC as well when it's offered in the fall and will check out the materials you mentioned.

I take it you have an EMC solution in house as well?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We `have EMC at work but the storage team manages it. I just wanted to know more so I could understand them better. Plus the road I'm heading down is the cloud engineer as people call it. Going to need to know vmware, storage and networks. When researching Storage books the EMC's Information Storage and Management book was highly recommended. It also prepares you for EMC Proven Professional Associate certification. 2 birds with one stone.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Nice. Of the two guys I know who install large scale storage in public clouds (systems engineers), one is a big Linux guy and the other a CCNP, both with storage experience/training.

Information Storage and Management is in my queue as well, along with Storage Networks Explained. The latter is written by IBM storage engineers and I think would be complemented by IBM Redbooks nicely (although not on topic of the EMC exam).
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!! Update that cert list of yours too, this is one cert I feel one should be proud of.

I recommend that Information Storage and Management book too, it can get a bit dry sometimes though. More than the half the material would be review for many people.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com