Options

network+, no experience

andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
How does one break into the IT field with net+ cert but no experience? Im going after my Sec+ in bout 2months if that helps me.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be honest, it's tough to break into this field doing anything other than basic helpdesk or computer tech work. That means that A+ is really the go-to starting cert. I think Network+ is a great certification that has important material, but A+ is by far more commonly requested for entry-level jobs.

Regardless of all that, the key to breaking into this field is to put together an excellent resume and cover letter. If you ever do basic PC work on the side, even if just for friends and family, list that as experience (but don't overstate it). If you have studied any particular systems or experimented with them enough that you would feel comfortable working on them in production environments, list those as skills.

Be sure to dress well, communicate effectively, and use proper grammar in all communications with potential employers. Ultimately, most entry-level jobs are about your ability to present yourself.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep applying, this is the long and short of it.

Network with people, register yourself with all the IT recruitment agencies, sign up on LinkedIn, work on your resume -some of the things you can do.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I was in your position, I would go for the CCNA after the Network+. Adding the Security+ cert wouldn't hurt, but you already have networking knowledge..so add more depth to it with the CCNA. In my area, companies are willing to hire individuals with the CCNA + no experience from anywhere between 35-45 k.

I was able to get my first IT job last October with a small company (50-60 employees) doing NOC/Linux technical support making 27k with no IT experience but they did like my 3 years of call center experience. Fast forward 6 months, I have my Network+ and CCENT making double the money.
  • Options
    andremcullinsandremcullins Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to do more help desk tech jobs than anything. I work for Blackberry and I'm familiar with all other mobile platforms as well. Should I tackle a Microsoft cert or does having Cisco certs trumps that?
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco certs would only trump MS certs if you were trying to get a networking job.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Should I tackle a Microsoft cert or does having Cisco certs trumps that?
    That depends on whether you're seeking a job related to Microsoft Windows or related to computer networking.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get your A+ since it still seems to be the basic "must have" cert for entry level techs/helpdesk.
    Also work on your networking skills, people networking skills not IT.