Options

odom's book

nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
i have been told cisco is my next requirement at work. Browsing the sites it looks like this is the latest book by Odom CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated (3rd Edition)' by Wendell Odom Is this broken down for the 2 CCENT exams/ I think this will be my easier route.

Also, browsing some of the threads and getting mixed reviews for a lab. Can someone break down the basic hardware needed. I have always worked on sonicwalls and Hp's so the model numbers are hard to keep up with while researching the board. little lazy I know but much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I have those books. Great books!
  • Options
    I see you are reading the book in question. Is it broken down in two sections for the ccent?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Odom's book covers the necessary material. So does Lammle. Compare their reading styles before you buy and see which you enjoy. You are going to be putting many hours into this--might as well go with a technical book you somewhat enjoy!

No hardware is necessary to practice for the CCNA. Programs like Netsim / Packet Tracer / GNS3 / IOU that simulate the hardware and/or software are the most efficient way to practice the CCNA-level scenarios and commands.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    nycid wrote: »
    I see you are reading the book in question. Is it broken down in two sections for the ccent?

Its broken down into two books. One for CCENT and the other for ICND2 which by having both you will obtain the CCNA (both ICDN 1 = CCENT and ICDN 2). If you have any networking experience you will find a majority of the CCENT (ICDN 1 book) as a refresher.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have been doing it for a good 10 years. never needed certs before but now I do. I prefer physical hardware over labs... no reason why. Just a matter of preference. Ordered Odoms book should be here Friday.

thanks for the info.... and why does my shift key not work :)??
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I believe you can also buy these online for a fraction of the cost..
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nycid, check out CertificationKits.com. I'm not affiliated with them, but they provide a clear and intelligible breakdown of the devices needed to build an effective home lab for various Cisco certifications including CCNA.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Nycid, check out CertificationKits.com. I'm not affiliated with them, but they provide a clear and intelligible breakdown of the devices needed to build an effective home lab for various Cisco certifications including CCNA.

I used Odoms books for the ICND1 exam. I didn't use Lammles book so I can't comment on that one. But I think it's general regarded that Odom goes into a little more technical detail than Lammle does. Odom just came out with a third edition of the books. The third edition box set I believe gets you the 2nd edition books. You can check his website but I think he says that there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition books and that the 2nd edition should do just fine for the current tests. I'm not sure if the 3rd edition box set comes with the new edition books or not.

For a hardware lab I used to 2620XM routers with a wic-2t in each and 2 2950G switches that I bought off of ebay. That was more than enough for the ICND1 test. I will probably add at least 1 more router and 2 more switches eventually for the ICND2 preperation. I'll have to see how it goes first.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the Lammle book and today broke down and bought the Odom books. Lammle was great in the first few chapters where I had some relevant experience but as it's starting to get more Cisco specific I'm finding his breezing through topics isn't working for me. I'm hoping Odom will connect with me, but if not I guess maybe I'm not a Cisco guy. Which will suck because my hardware just arrived..