Options

Upgrade problem

mmmacwmmmacw Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was given an old computer to work on upgrading. It is a HP 7130P running WIN 95, 2 GB Hard drive Pentium running at 133MHz. My question is I want to up grad to a larger Hard drive and HP says the Mother board will only support up to a total of 10 GB. Someone told me to put a PCI Ultra ATA 100 controller card in and then I can upgrade the OS to WIN 98 and because of the PCI card I can put a larger Hard drive in. Does anyone know if this will work before I put out the money?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Yeah, that should work without a hitch. In fact, if you buy a larger hard drive from Western Digital (I think bigger than 120GB), they automatically come with a controller hard (I have 2). As long as it has PCI slots that are compatible I think you should be fine.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Yeah, that would work. You might also get by with just using EZ-BIOS or some other drive translation software (comes with retail packaged drives on a floppy) that will allow you to use the bigger drive.

While you're at it, try to scrounge up a PCI video card (assuming you have another empty slot) and you can learn about disabling onboard video.

Have fun with it. By far, this is the best learning experience. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.