Lab hardware/software for CCNA-Security

drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
Hey All,
I need to lab for the CCNA:S exam, but a lot of the commands are not available on my older 25xx routers.

I bought the Cisco Networking Academy Lab Workbook that has lots of labs, but they all revolve around having 3 x 1841 routers ($$$). The labs use IOS 12.4(20)T1 and later.

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Manual-Cisco-Networking-Academy/dp/1587132494/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334710196&sr=8-1

I am not going to go for the CCNP any time soon, I really am using the CCNA:S as a way to learn something new and renew my CCNA.

What do most people do for CCNA:S labs? Buy a bunch of physical 1841's? Use an 1841 IOS image and GNS3? (which I found doesn't emulate switches).

Thanks,
Drew

Comments

• drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Found this on CertificationKits.com, maybe the 2600XM is the solution...

What Routers Will Work and Why?
    So what routers will work? The most economical router we suggest is the 2600XM series router. These routers will support the 12.4 Advanced IP Services feature set which supports zone-based firewalls and IPS. They also support SDM. You are also going to want to make sure they have 256MB DRAM and 48MB Flash so you can run the proper IOS and SDM. Otherwise you will find out that you can’t run both as you don’t have enough memory. So it looks like we have a winner! As a side note, you can also use the 1800 platform such as an 1841, but we find that these are still a bit too expensive for a lab environment.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I would check out GNS3. You can run IOS images on it with the capabilities your looking for. Check out the CCNA/NP forums for tons of info on it.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I haven't researched it yet, but wondered if anyone happens to know what router is recommended for the new IINSv2 exam featuring CCP instead of SDM.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I used Dynamips/Dynagen exclusively through my ESXi host using 3725 routers. Did everything to pass the exam.

Cisco Configuration Professional for Cisco Access Routers  [Cisco Configuration Professional] - Cisco Systems - Supported router list.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Thanks for the replies!

What I may end up doing is buying one 2611XM with 12.4(20) Advanced IP Services and then use that IOS for Dynamips. The newest copy of IOS I have on my routers is 12.2.

I wish Cisco would just sell me a copy of IOS 12.4 so I don't have to buy the whole router. But then again, a 2611XM would be a nice addition to my lab.

Drew
  • poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    drew2000 wrote: »
    I wish Cisco would just sell me a copy of IOS 12.4 so I don't have to buy the whole router.

Drew

Drew,

Please don't take offense at this. I say this only to motivate you, bro.

Given the certifications you have in your certifications list, you should be better at "thinking creatively" about the solutions to your problems.

I will not elaborate more than to say "Google is your Friend, young Padawan".
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    drew2000 wrote: »
    What I may end up doing is buying one 2611XM with 12.4(20) Advanced IP Services and then use that IOS for Dynamips. The newest copy of IOS I have on my routers is 12.2.
    I have one like that with 12.2 AdvIP. Any ideas as to why it takes like 4 minutes to boot?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    petedude wrote: »
    I have one like that with 12.2 AdvIP. Any ideas as to why it takes like 4 minutes to boot?

because it's old? lol... and probably doesn't have too much ram to go with it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)