Options

From the guy who went to Costa Rica to take theCBT Based CISSP after failing

kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
I PASSED! Oh, and any thoughts you might have about the CBT being easier? It isn't. Nope, harder, I'd say. I took everyone's advice, and it took me the full six hours. AS I will never do anything to violate my NDA, I cannot talk too much about the questions as I worked too hard to get here. I will say that as a THIRD time test taker, the questions, and answers were harder, and there was a LOT of new material that I did not see on my last exam that I took on 19 February.

I walked out thinking I failed AGAIN, and it didn't help that the Pearson Testing Center located at the University of Costa Rica San Jose personnel sent my results to the wrong printer and were about to send me on my merry way, when a third lady came down the hall waving the piece of paper in her hand, telling 'You PASSED,!' You PASSED!

I leave you with this: Thank GOD for CBT and not having to wait 4-6 weeks again; I could not have done that to myself again! THere is a bottle of Dom I bought in January waiting for me and my supportive wife in the refrigerator when I get home tomorrow!

-Kalani

p.s. Thank you JD and the rest for all your wisdom and your help and understanding and letting me vent my frustrations about my previous attempts. I will do my best to return the favor to help those who need it from me.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. And I'm glad to see that your perseverance and dedication has paid off. Well done!!!
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Well done, sir. Well done!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass, well done. Thanks for the write up on the CBT version of the exam.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congratulations. Way to persevere and succeed.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the heads up! I took the exam last Saturday and was looking at going the computer testing route should I be unsuccessful this time around. Nice congrats drink too. All I had planned was a six pack of Heinekeins; guess I gotta go out and step up my celebration game! icon_lol.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    The reason I passed this time is simple: Because it was CBT, I had an hour left to go back and check the marked questions. During the test, I was thinking 'I am NOT going to do this again,' but when I went back and looked and questions I marked, including three that were not marked, I thought to myself 'who was taking this test 5 hours ago? Surely not me.' I proceeded to change about 20-25 questions, and THAT is why I passed. Paper based exams are just NOT for me.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Thanks fro the update. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations!! Greatly deserved!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    joeykeisjoeykeis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Question for you since you have taken both the Paper and CBT version:

If you were a new tester for the CISSP would you have taken it First on Paper or CBT?
  • Options
    HI Joey. Well, I think that I would probably take the CBT simply because I would NOT want to wait for the results. You have probably read other people's experiences on here, I hope. THe wait is unbelievable and torture. Ask around. What's worse is scoring so high, you miss it by a test question or two, but have to wait 5 weeks to learn that you failed by so little? I have read on these threads where people just like me, took the test twice and it was too much for them to bear, and then you never hear from them again.

The CBT was more intense and went into greater depth technically than the paper based, but stilll did so from a management perspective. There were a lot of questions where they referenced other domains, especially Risk Management and Network...they might have been beta questions for all I know and it would not surprise me.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent job.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    So you can take it CBT out of the states? I heard sometime in August was when the CBT was going to be available in the US, because I would much prefer CBT over paper and pencil but Ive already selected to take the test on Jun 30th this year.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    p.s. Thank you JD and the rest for all your wisdom and your help and understanding and letting me vent my frustrations about my previous attempts. I will do my best to return the favor to help those who need it from me.
    Hey, glad to help out. You've helped usher in the era of the computer-based CISSP exam. Your experience, as documented here on TE, will help possibly thousands of future certification candidates prepare for their CISSP journey. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Hi there Paperlantern. Actually, the test will be available in the states June 2nd via CBT. So, reschedule if you would rather the CBT versus paper. I prefer CBT as well, obviously. Waiting for the results just stinks. Immediate results are much more gratifying. If you fail, at least you will know what you have to study for, and you can take it again in 30 days...
  • Options
    theenigmacodetheenigmacode Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Hi there Paperlantern. Actually, the test will be available in the states June 2nd via CBT. So, reschedule if you would rather the CBT versus paper. I prefer CBT as well, obviously. Waiting for the results just stinks. Immediate results are much more gratifying. If you fail, at least you will know what you have to study for, and you can take it again in 30 days...

This is good news indeed. I havent scheduled it yet, though I had picked June 30th as the day I wanted to take it, I may be able to take it somewhat earlier if CBT will be available after June 2nd. is it only in select cities or should I be able to set it up through Pearson vue or Prometric?
  • Options
    joeykeisjoeykeis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Kalkan,

You have inspired me :)

I went to the PearsonVUE site to schedule my test and the only place that shows you take the CISSP CBT right now in the U.S. is in Ogden,Utah but im in CA.. I guess I will have to wait until June and see if any California test centers open up.

Another question, did you pay $599? I thought early registration gets you $549 or does it not apply to the CBT version?

Thanks.
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    is the CBT still give you 6 hrs? And if so, do they give you bathroom breaks? Usually any CBT exam, they don't permit you to leave until your done..
  • Options
    Pearson Vue testing centers only. I was able to raise my hand and wave at the camera, and someone came around who was obviously watching me to let me get up and go to the bathroom. I had to go to her office to get to my water and have a snack
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh ok good to know. It must be some sort of agreement with ISC2 and Pearson testing centers. Usually with Cisco/MS CBT exams with Pearson or Prometric, no bathroom breaks. It could be because those exams are typically much shorter like 1.5hrs - 2.5 hrs.
  • Options
    MeganaMegana Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Kalkan,

Just a Quick questions. Since you took the PBT twice and failed and also took CBT and passed. What difference you feel from PBT over CBT apart from knowing the result faster ?

1) Do you get same type of scenario based questions in CBT ?
    2) Are you allowed to take multiple break during exam or breaks are limited ?
    3) After finishing the exam and submitting for result are you able to see your "PASS / FAIL" in your screen ? or you will come to know the result only after it is printed ?

Very Anxious to know above details !!

Regards,
    Megana
  • Options
    Megana wrote: »
    Hey Kalkan,

Just a Quick questions. Since you took the PBT twice and failed and also took CBT and passed. What difference you feel from PBT over CBT apart from knowing the result faster ?

1) Do you get same type of scenario based questions in CBT ?
    2) Are you allowed to take multiple break during exam or breaks are limited ?
    3) After finishing the exam and submitting for result are you able to see your "PASS / FAIL" in your screen ? or you will come to know the result only after it is printed ?

Very Anxious to know above details !!

Regards,
    Megana

He Megana.

1) The dynamics and mechanics of the questions asked are similar. For me, there were more scenario vs fact based, but will vary depending on the student. I had time to go back and re-check a BUNCH of questions and change the answers, so I know that played very much into why I passed.
    2) You can take breaks at Pearson VUE, as it is a 6 hour exam. You will have someone watching you in another room on video the whole time. Raise your hand and you can go to the bathroom, go to your locker or room where you have your water/drink and food and eat there. As with the PBT, the clock does not stop when you take a break.
    3) The results are not available on the screen. It will tell you to pick up your results that will be printed in the office of the Pearson Vue test administrator, or something to that effect. You will receive two printed pages: One is a receipt from Pearson Vue that you took the test at that particular site/office, and the second will be a Pearson Vue letterhead and ISC2 logo that will have the standard 'Congratulations...you have taken the and passed, and must perform additional tests of endurance, find a CISSP in good standing to sponsor you, may be subject to audit, 4-6 weeks after submission, you will receive your ISC number (same number as your candidate number), then another 4-6 for your package and pretty certificate and CISSP card in the mail.
  • Options
    NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I really expected the CBT to be more difficult than the paper based exams. My personal preference was to break fairly frequently, sign-out and come back to the exam without feeling so confined to the "High Stakes" testing room for a number of hours. My preference would still be able to have the testing booklet in hand over reading a screen for the three and a half hours it took me with the paper based exam but that's just a personal preference.

- beads
  • Options
    Beads, I am a bit 'old school' as well, but the ONE thing that really made a difference now that I look back on it was that I kept saying to myself while I took the CBT 'At LEAST I will find out about my results immediately.' That knowledge really helped, as it was a hinderance during the PBT. When taking the PBT, I found it difficult to comfort myself on any level, because I knew I would have to wait it out for up to six weeks!
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As a comparison I will sit for the CISSP-ISSAP exam in August. The earliest I could schedule here in Chicago on a Friday without starting an exam at say, 5:00 PM.

I should be able to endure 3 hours without a break - hopefully. I hate taking exams at Pearson/Vue sites as they always make me feel like a criminal. Now, here is your locker. Loose the coat, keys, phone, pocket change, pocket lint and any tissues (provided). Step through the metal detector and pull your pockets out and we can pat you down. The TSA would be proud!

Yes, I am a glutton for punishment.

- beads
  • Options
    MeganaMegana Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Kalkan,

How about using Dictionary in the CBT? I know we can use English to English Dictionary in PBT to know the meaning of the most complicate words !

How about in the CBT ?

Regards,
    Megana
  • Options
    That is an excellent question, Megana. I do know that cbt is offered in a number of languages other than English, so the Spanish to English, German, Indian, etc, are not entirely necessary. But your dictionary question is something to call or e-mail ISC about
  • Options
    letstrythis1letstrythis1 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The reason I passed this time is simple: Because it was CBT, I had an hour left to go back and check the marked questions. During the test, I was thinking 'I am NOT going to do this again,' but when I went back and looked and questions I marked, including three that were not marked, I thought to myself 'who was taking this test 5 hours ago? Surely not me.' I proceeded to change about 20-25 questions, and THAT is why I passed. Paper based exams are just NOT for me.

Hi kalkan999, Can I ask how many times you went through the CBT exam? Were you able to get through the all the questions twice or only your marked questions a second time?

Thanks for your help! I'm going to be taking my CBT soon and am crossing my fingers for better results than my first time with the PBT (score: 681).