Options

Help with wireless setting on Virtual Box

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have a co worker who is using VB on a Mac so he can also run Win 7 Pro. When he leaves the office and goes home, the Mac side of wireless finds his home network with no problem and connects.

The Win 7 side under VB does not. He has to shut down VB and relaunch it to get the wireless to connect. Is there some setting that will allow this to not happen, and just work as a normal Win7 machine? I have been digging around, but so far I have not found anything.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is the network configuration for the VM? Bridged to the wireless adapter? This is what I use and it seems to work fine (I'm using a Linux host, though). I guess you can try ipconfig /release and /renew in the VM, or try to disconnect and reconnect the adapter through VB. Or is the network adapter configured to use NAT? If that is the case I don't know why it wouldn't work.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Unless the Mac version of VB is drastically different from the Windows version, why should a VM actually need to establish a wireless connection anyway? It's far easier to just bridge or NAT when the underlying MacOS is connected to the wireless, as MentholMoose said. The VM should be connecting via what it logically sees as a wired adapter.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That was the issue, nothing bridged. Once took care of that, it worked.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is your coworker using wireless both at work and at home? Or using a wired network at work and wireless at home? When using a bridged adapter you have to choose a specific NIC, so if you need to go from a wired to wireless network you have to change the adapter settings.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV