Options

Any hidden gem or obscure certifications that you would recommend?

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    N2IT wrote: »
    But you have to do PowerPoint 2010 first!

You're right. And I'm as committed to my agreement to taking Powerpoint 2010...just as much as my company is committed to switching over to IPv6.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    You're right. And I'm as committed to my agreement to taking Powerpoint 2010...just as much as my company is committed to switching over to IPv6.

No wonder it's taking so long with those monkeys you have working for you.

@ Aldur
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I might have to lurk around there.
  • Options
    BeginCOBITBeginCOBIT Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Different certifications are good for different environments. If you work in a data center then a Foundation Certificate in Green IT, followed by the EU Code of Conduct for Data Centers certificate, could be beneficial. If your business is interested in the cloud then the Certified in Cloud Security Knowledge (CCSK) certificate might be helpful. If you work for a service-oriented business then one of the many ITIL certifications would be helpful.
    If you are interested in project management you could pursue the PRINCE2 Foundation Certificate followed by the PRINCE2 Practitioner certificate or you could consider the CompTIA Project+ qualification. If your business works with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) then you might want to consider the COBIT 4.1 Foundation Certificate, because COBIT is often used to help businesses comply with the IT control requirements of SOX.

As a general rule try to get qualifications that are in areas loosely related to your current job (or current qualification set) so that you slowly broaden your knowledge; make yourself multi-skilled.

If you want to move up the management ladder consider things like People Management, and also Finance for Non-Financial Managers.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I often forget about PRINCE2 - while it's less known in the U.S., I do sometimes see project managers in larger U.S-based multi-national financial service PMOs carry it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    COBIT, PRINCE2, and SCRUM have always peaked my interest.

Thanks for the great post Paul and BCobit
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certified Scrum Master (CSM). Oh wait, I did get that one :D

I may do the Oracle Web Logic certification this year.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Yes you did RW!
    They are offering a CSM training course in Minneapolis middle of next month. I may attend it's over the weekend. 2 8 hour days :/
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Yes you did RW!
    They are offering a CSM training course in Minneapolis middle of next month. I may attend it's over the weekend. 2 8 hour days :/

Yeah it's two full days (warning: the material can get dry really quick). But as I told you, it's a pretty easy cert to pick up. Let me know if you take the class.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Waiting to hear back from the instructor to verify if the course adminsters the exam or provides the exam in come capacity.
  • Options
    It should. As part of taking the class, you are then given access to the Scrum Alliance portal where you can take the test.
  • Options
    RW I just found out they won't give the exam.
  • Options
    Hmm...interesting.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to backup my Cisco certs with an alternate vendor, and juniper has been an excellent choice. I would highly recommend them. Sadly i dont really work with them that in depth to warrant going too far. But it has raised a few positive eye brows! plus there free material and discounts have been awesome!

Prince 2 foundation is another i want to take to show that i do have some basic project management skills. PMP is an alternative that many people go for instead. However, in the UK, prince seems the popular choice.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Nel thanks for the insight!