Options

TE Degree (BSc/MSc/PhD) applicants

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Tech Exams members who are currently enrolled in a degree program (Bachelors, Masters, PhD, postgrad cert..etc) or planning to enroll. Let's share our university details here!

University Name
: Degree type: (BSc/MSc/MS/Cert/Diploma/PhD)

Type of attendance
: (Full Time/ Part Time/ Distance Learning/ Block Mode/ Online).

Starting Semester
:

Link to the program
:I hope this provoke some healthy discussions.
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    I will start :)

I got admission from this program:-

University Name: University of London International Programs (Royal Holloway University of London)

Degree type: MSc Information Security

Type of attendance: Distance Learning

Starting Semester: Fall 2012

Link to the program:Information Security - Royal Holloway - University of London International Programmes

I got unconditional offer of admission, but registration for modules starts on May and ends on August. I still have time to change my mind icon_lol.gif

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice thread!

UnixGuy, congrats on the admission icon_wink.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    University Name: University of Maryland University College

Degree type:
    MSc Cybersecurity Policy

Type of attendance:

Starting Semester:
    Fall 2010

Link to the program:
    Cybersecurity: Policy - Master of Science - Graduate School - UMUC

I have nearly 4 of 6 courses free. Hoping to be done this year... if I don't take a break this summer.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    University Name: New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)

Degree type: Graduate Certificate in Management of Technology. Beginning in Spring 2013, will matriculate in the Master of Business Administration--Management of Technology degree with MIS Concentration

Type of attendance: Online (for now.) Hybrid (mixed of Online and "Face-to-Face" courses) when MBA program begins. MBA cannot fully be done online.

Starting Semester: Spring 2012

Links to the program:NJIT: Adult Learner : Certification in Management of Technology
    NJIT: School of Management: MBA Curriculum
    NJIT: Admissions: Apply Online
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/73386-erpadmins-grad-school-journey.html <-(plug to my thread highlighting my experiences with this program thus far.)
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    University Name: Western Governors University

Degree type: BSc IT: network adminitration

Type of attendance: Online

Starting Semester: January 2012

Link to the program:
    Bachelor Degree in IT Network Administration | WGU College of Information Technology Online
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    University Name: University of Memphis

Degree type
    : B.S. in Computer Science

Type of attendance
    : Full time

Starting Semester
    : Fall 2010

Link to the program
    : Department of Computer Science, University of Memphis
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    University Name: Davenport University

Degree type: MS in Information Assurance

Type of attendance
    : Online but they also offer both fulltime and partime options for those near one of the campuses

Starting Semester
    : Winter 2010

Link to the program
    :Information Assurance, MSIA | Davenport University
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    University Name: Degree type: MS in Information Security and Assurance

Type of attendance
    : Online

Starting Semester
    : May 2012

Link to the program
    : Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    University Name: Western Governor's University

Degree type: Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security Emphasis

Starting Semester:
    Jan 2012

Link to the program: Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

Just 2 more tests and the capstone remain. I should finish by June.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    University Name: Degree type: Western Governors University | MBA Strategic Management

Starting Semester: April 2012

Link to the program
    : http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MBA_BA.pdf

Previous: Bachelors of Science Business School of Management at Missouri State University (Graduated 2001)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    University Name: Metropolitan State University

Degree type: Bachelor of Computer Science (MS, BA, BS, and BAS available for other subjects)

Type of attendance: "Blended" (online & on-campus mixture; several programs offered 100% online, while most offer a mixture)

Starting Semester: Summer 2012 (May to August)

Link to the program: Metropolitan State University - Where life and learning meet.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    University Name: Drexel University

Degree type: MS in Information Systems

Link to the program: http://www.drexel.com/online-degrees/information-sciences-degrees/ms-is/index.aspx

That being said, I am considering taking the GMAT's and applying for the following program:

University Name: Drexel University

Degree type: MS in Business Analytics

Link to the program: Masters of Science in Business Analytics from Drexel University's LeBow College of Business

I read a pretty good article (needed some more depth, but still good) about Business Intelligence/Analytics becoming a big part of information assurance. We shall see! Good topic!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    So many Info Sec students here, awesome icon_cool.gif

There's an interesting event taking place in UK: Infosecurity Europe 2012 - Europe's No.1 Information Security Event (info sec Europe 2012)

The Information Security Group at Royal Holloway (the program I'm joining) will be there:
    http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/node/508

• Options
    I mentioned to you that I'm very hesitant about this, and I didn't pay for the program yet.

Read this article, and let's discuss it! it has some great points, some of which are real concerns of mine:

5 Bad Reasons to Apply to Grad School | Brazen Life

Any ideas???

• Options
    1. To avoid a bad economy - If you are already working, this is a non-issue. The economy is changing and at some point it will level out, Masters work at that point will only help you. Plus it will allow you to teach at a college level, so you could earn a little extra cash.

2. To learn the unique secrets of your profession - We're in IT, we know that experience trumps everything. But, a Masters can open doors to a way of thinking (I'm talking strategically thinking) that perhaps even experience won't teach you.

3. As a last minute decision - If this is the case, don't do it. You are going to dedicated a large portion of your life to education and at the graduate level you are talking about partying the night before a final.

4. Because a mediocre program is within reach - Most people will argue with me on this, but I am a firm believer in name matters. That being said, if your program is accredited no need to be too worried about it.

5. Thinking you need a master’s - Let's face facts, you're going to need it at some point. You can wipe your butt with your HS diploma and the BS/BA is on it's way to that level as well.

Education is an investment that pays over time, it shouldn't be treated as a day trade. Obviously, no one can promise you a raise or a better job after you complete it. But, if your like me, and the pursuit of knowledge is just as important as advancement then you will not lose.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    LetterLetter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    University Name: North Carolina State University

Degree type: MS in Computer Networking

Type of attendance: Distance

Starting Semester: November

Link to the program:ncsu.edu
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    1. To avoid a bad economy -...snip....

you have valid points there. I'm just undecided whether I should pay 13000 Euros and do the degree while working, or should I quit my job and go get a funded masters...

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Grinch

1. Depends on how much you spend on your degree and the return you get from it.
    2. Agreed completely
    3. Agreed completely
    4. Depends on the organization you are applying too. IBM doesn't care as long as you have a 3.6 or higher, on the flip side Monsanto (Fortune 500) really does put a lot of stock in where you obtained your degree. Where I work currently just wants you to have an regionally accredited masters. A blanket statement can't cover this topic.
    5. I'm not sure that a BA/BS will be a degree you wipe your rear with. I think it's contigent on what type of degree you get. A BS in actuarial sciences or mathematics is far superior to a CIS degree or MIS. The curriculum and the "name" will play a big factor in wether your degree is toilet paper or not. A degree from University of Michigan in History might be great for becoming a librarian, but a degree from UofM in CS or EE, will get your tail paid in a hurry.

Overall I personally believe MBA's, MS, BA, BS as a whole are becoming less valuable while experience is becoming more valuable. There are of course some programs that don't fall into this category. Engineering for instance is in high demand in certain parts of the United States and even World. There is a demand for them, and the supply can't keep up. MIS students or CIS, there are a flood of them. They are still in demand just not as much demand.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    ...University Name:...

Open University
    ...Degree type: (BSc/MSc/MS/Cert/Diploma/PhD)...

Postgrad, starting with PGCert (possibly up to PGDip or even the full Masters)
    ...Type of attendance: (Full Time/ Part Time/ Distance Learning/ Block Mode/ Online)...

Part-time/Distance Learning/Online
    ...Starting Semester:...

May 2012
    ...Link to the program:...

Starting with this course: M889 Computer forensics and investigations

With the view to gain the PGCert, PGDip or even the Masters.
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with point one...if you're incurring debt when you have no means of paying for it (i.e. current employment) then you have no business in graduate school.

I am in disagreement with point two. Having a Master's Degree can open doors that would otherwise not be opened to folks. This ties into point five; when so many other people have a MS degree, it just makes sense to get one too...however, if one falls under point one, then one should wait until the means to pay for graduate school can be realized.

Point three is such a non-issue. There are a lot of schools that are hungry and thirsty for tuition dollars. If one wants to go into a program that year, they can get conditional admission. Also, if one wants to do a graduate certificate program prior to formally admitting there is a great chance they can earn a GRE/GMAT waiver by doing well on the classes in the graduate certificate program. There is no honor or lack of shame in taking the GRE/GMAT (or not taking them.) Anyone who says otherwise is just a pretenious snob. Plus, after earning a terminal degree (read: Master's or Doctorate) GRE/GMATs never have to be dealt with again, for the most part.

Point four, let's be honest, I've always agreed with this. This point was pretty much the reason why I didn't pursue a graduate program with WGU. I will be clear though, in fact very clear: I do NOT find WGU's graduate program to be mediorce. However, many who have never heard of WGU will have negative opinions on WGU. I knew this going in...which was why I needed to counter-balance my BS degree with a MS degree from a B&M program. I do believe in the legitimacy of online programs (whether they are from non-profit online schools or B&Ms with an online prescence) so long as they are regionally accredited. Experience, in my opinion, can be coupled with a degree that was earned at a school that was less than Ivy League. :)

Point five: see point two.
  • Options
    I mentioned to you that I'm very hesitant about this, and I didn't pay for the program yet.

Read this article, and let's discuss it! it has some great points, some of which are real concerns of mine:

5 Bad Reasons to Apply to Grad School | Brazen Life

Any ideas???

1. Doesn't apply to me. I'm not doing this to avoid the bad economy.

2. Doesn't apply to me. Google is my friend for information.

3. Doesn't apply to me. I've wanted to do a postgrad qualification since I completed my degree about a decade ago.

4. Doesn't apply to me. The Uni that I'm going to is one of the top rated one in the UK, offering an excellent program - not mediocre.

5. Doesn't apply to me. It's not a case of needing, it's a case of wanting with the opportunity of gaining a post-grad qualification through work :)

There you go.
  • Options
    In regards to point 4, N2, you are correct it doesn't matter a whole lot. I look at it from a networking stand point, but also some of the higher tier companies (thinking Google and the likes) it does hold some water.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    To add to your points, I've seen job ads from vendors like Oracle, Symantec, and Amazon asking specifically for a Masters degree from a highly ranked university (I think it was Oracle who specifically mentioned 'highly ranked', the rest just mentioned that a Masters degree is required).

Decision decision icon_rolleyes.gif

• Options
    To add to your points, I've seen job ads from vendors like Oracle, Symantec, and Amazon asking specifically for a Masters degree from a highly ranked university (I think it was Oracle who specifically mentioned 'highly ranked', the rest just mentioned that a Masters degree is required).

Decision decision icon_rolleyes.gif

For me, I don't actually look at companies, in the first instance, I look at positions (I wouldn't want to limit myself only to certain organisations). My current position is the IT manager (a department manager), so the next step for me would be either an IT manager's post at a larger organisation or possibly even an IT Director or IT consultant role.

Yes there are those roles that do specify Masters (or post grad) qualification, but there are alot that don't.
  • Options
    Larry Ellison, himself, was a college dropout.

(Just saying...)
  • Options
    Not to go too far off topic, but I have always been floored by companies founded by college dropouts, but won't hire college graduates with no experience. Couldn't tell you the number of emails I've gotten that say not experienced enough. Really? You're company was founded by someone with less education and less experience then me, yet I am not good enough? Sorry about the soapbox, yay education!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Was gonna mention Gates and Zuckerberg, but people have made very good counter arguments to either of those cases.

Apparently, there's a difference between being a college dropout and a Harvard dropout...in both of these cases, both men came from families who were already rich (Gates especially but Zuckerberg's family definitely had some money in the bank too.)

Ellison didn't even attend an Ivy League school.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, there is definitely a difference between a dropout and an Ivy League drop-out. Besides, those guys are geniuses. Regardless of any opinions on them, they are geniuses by virtually every accepted definition of the word.

The experience thing is an irritating catch-22, but it's a reality of education's slow pace at catching up with industry. In IT in particular, most programs do not prepare you for a job in infrastructure. The ones that do are not from well respected schools (regardless of how much respect the schools deserve), which creates another catch-22.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Those drop outs are BUSINESS people. you don't need a degree to become a share holder or acquire a company (or steal ideas). Them demanding people with fancy degrees for technical/management positions is legit. If your company is one of the biggest companies in the world, then you have the luxury of filtering people and select from the best since you get thousands of resumes everyday. Having said that, there are famous engineers and architects who work at those companies and don't have fancy (or Ivy as you guys call them) degrees.

• Options
    I forget who on the forums said it, but I'll just strive to be a BAMF ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff