Options

Anyone else starting the new WGU Masters of Networking degree May 1st?

I start May 1st on the new masters program. Just realized that it is exactly 2 years from when I started my BS degree (which took 16 months). My plan is to finish in a year. Hopefully finish my CCNP around the same time. And depending on my desire for more school I might jump on a BSEE, which with a MS should only take 1-2 terms. Anyways... Good luck to everyone else.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Not the new one, but I'm starting the MSISA on the 1st!

I actually already started, almost finished with my first class LKT2 and second JFT2. I just can't turn in any tasks until the 1st :P
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I looked into that program and it seems pretty good. Will you be updating on your progress? I'd certainly be interested in hearing about your experience. Right now I am studying CCNP, and working both full and part time. I'm a little skeptical about fitting in a graduate program into my life.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Can anyone give the degree of hardness on the masters courses VS the BS classes? With only 36 cu's, does anyone think it can be done in one term? Thanks.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can anyone give the degree of hardness on the masters courses VS the BS classes? With only 36 cu's, does anyone think it can be done in one term? Thanks.

It looks likes you'll be doing a lot of paper writing, plus an oral defense a la LUT1 of everything you learned in the program. If paper writing is your thing, I could see this being done in one term, though two terms is very reasonable. I can't speak on the hardness for this particular program, but I would definitely go into it believing that it will be much more in depth than the BS program since it is at a Master's level. Since WGU needed this program accredited at this level, I can't imagine that it would be a joke. However, since you're in the program, I look forward to seeing how it compares to others.

Best of luck, brother!
  • Options
    I know it's pretty early, but you mind commenting on initial impressions?

I'm really looking into enrolling into this program.
  • Options
    Well... I don't have much to say yet. I've only taken the risk management class. Most of the COS and communities aren't even built yet so I am not 100% sure what I've gotten into. I'll keep everyone posted as I go along.
  • Options
    First assignment is back. 2 out of 3 parts passed. Problem I'm having is what they want isn't what the task is saying. The task is asking for you to create a business response plan to an emergency. Yet, half of the task I guess is to create an ethical policy for the business. Oh well, fixed it up and re-submitted it. Talk to my mentor yesterday about the issue with taskstream, seems they are at about 50% in house/50% outsource graders. But if it's this slow now, I can only imagine it in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Well I am officially done with Risk Management. What a load of #### was that class. The entire paper (almost 20+ pages between the 2), was just fluff. Not to say I didn't learn anything but really the papers were way off the course. Oh well done with 2 CU's, working on the next 3 if they would get put into TaskStream. There is one more Risk Management class that I have to take but I think it's a little better designed and more towards IT problems.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And depending on my desire for more school I might jump on a BSEE, which with a MS should only take 1-2 terms...

I am curious about this statement. Do engineering schools graciously waive credits for folks with masters degrees? I somehow think that is not the case. I can only believe that they would waive requirements for relevant courses completed... and considering that it is WGU (no offense, it is just based on the curriculum for the program), I cannot see that being applicable.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    A little update. Task 3 of 4 has been graded for Cyber Law. Task 4 is in the system for grading. If/when that passes, that will be 8 CU in one month. I am not sure yet on my thoughts of the program. What I can say for sure is that I have to force myself to follow the COS. Most of the tasks that I have done have NOTHING to do with the COS. So your left searching and piecing them together. But the problem for me is that I think - well no since in reading the COS I'll just pass the task and move on. In doing that I think I miss a lot of what I am suppose to learn in the degree.

Going to take on another 8 CU Tuesday. Should be easy to pop those out in a month. Networking basics course, security exam (64% is passing, I got 63% on pre), network security paper then disaster planning. The disaster planning is basically a copy of risk management. Not sure why they even have it in the degree. Write 3 papers and be done with it.

Really don't know what I'll do after that. I'll have 4 months of my term left (3 really, last month I'll be on my honeymoon in Ireland). Total degree is 33 CU, and I'll have 17 left. But, 5 of those are the capstone and oral defense - which aren't even written yet. There is a strong possibility that I could finish this degree in 4 months at the pace I am going. Not sure if I really want to do that though. I might just finish the 16 then wait till next term to do the 17. Humm...

Lastly, as for the BSEE. I have a few options. There is a few colleges that I talked to that said I can take a masters in EE but since I don't have a BSEE it won't be considered a MSEE - more like MAES (masters of arts electrical sciences). The problem with a MAES is that you can't become a licensed engineer with it. You need a MSEE. To take the BSEE it shouldn't be too bad. Just a term or two of physics, chemistry, math then undergrad electrical classes. But I have to wait to see how and where my life is at that point. Focusing on the now at the moment.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very interesting, thank you for your thoughts on the program.
  • Options
    There is a strong possibility that I could finish this degree in 4 months at the pace I am going.

That's quite impressive. Just curious, what pace are you going? I was thinking I could dedicate about 15hrs max per week between my 2 jobs.
  • Options
    I've noticed a couple tasks in the MSISA program that don't like up with the COS, but overall most seem to have. I also finished 8CU in the first term (10 if you count the 2 I transferred in). I have another 5 CU that is waiting on grading and final paper, shouldn't be too hard. I'm looking at doing ~4 courses a month/8CU (which I already did last month) and then having 3 months left to work on the thesis... which I still need to pick a topic for, just haven't thought of anything I like. This month's courses, besides the ones waiting on grading, will be another 2 performance (already outlined all the papers) and another exam (CHFI)... should be doable.

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
  • Options
    I finished up cyber law. Did most of the COS but stopped reading the dang law book. The COS had it so you would read all 800 pages of small print. YUCK. I might go back and read a little on different sections. Jumped on SJT2 and finished that in 3 days - that class is basically CCNA with some SAN some stuff thrown in. Next 2 classes (BFC2 and TGT2) are easy... BFC2 is a 1 cu test that I was 2% off of from passing on the pre test so study a little and pass that next week. TGT2 is a security paper that shouldn't take too long. That will leave me with 5 classes and capstone/oral defense. Humm pass in 3 months now?
  • Options
    Cyber law, is it the same one I'm doing for MSISA? TFT2? I got the first 3 done no problem, about to start the 4th task tonight. How detailed did you go into it... I'm not sure if I have to just mention the laws that apply, or really explain what parts of them apply and how... and the section on how legal and CISO will work together is a bit vague.

• Options
    My approach was discussing the EFTA law and some US Code that applied to the case. As for the legal/ciso together it is really simple. How/what interaction will they have? The CISO is to follow direction from the legal department on what information to release, when and to who. How is evidence going to be handled? Basically it is a "bull ****" section as there is no real meaning behind it.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's kind of what I thought... which is what confused me. Parts 2 and 3 seemed so common sense, why am I writing about it (especially at the level the task says we work at). That made me think there was something I'm missing.

• Options
    The last section, about regulatory controls, is a tad tricky. The first part you have to describe how a control could of prevented the attack. Like say if there was proper risk assessment and evaluation done. How would of that prevented said events? Then the next section is how does "risk assessment" line up with regulatory controls, i.e. 27002-2001. Mine got kicked back because of those two sections but once I did the above it passed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I plan on finishing it this weekend so that's good info.

• Options
    As I write yet another paper I am thinking I am done with this degree. 2 months in and what will be 16 CU. Every single class has been about risk management. I can't stand it any more. This was suppose to be a "network" and management degree. There was ONE class on networking and that was just create a diagram in VISO and send it in. Even the security class, that is suppose to be about security, has NOTHING about security in the task. Half it is something about risk assessment methodology. I understand risk analysis is part of security but they already have 4-5 classes dedicated to that.

Not to feel that I am giving up I just don't think this degree will do me any good to continue. There is a lot better masters programs that focus on the actual networking part of networking than this degree does.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for sharing your feedback. Although, I wasn't considering this program, but I was somewhat surprised you want to jump on the new MS degree without giving it some time to mature. But of course someone like you has to give this program a shot so we know how successful it is and we thank you for that.

I am looking at the MSISA program, and I wonder if other people are having the same complaints about the MSISA. Since the goal of the MSISA degree is to prepare one for the CISSP, I hope WGU isn't going WAY overboard with the Risk Assessment and other unnecessary courses in this degree too but I would like someone to chime in on that.

I am aware there are only three courses in common:
    JIT2 Risk Management
    TFT2 Cyberlaw, Regulations and Compliance
    FXT2 Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I am looking at the MSISA program, and I wonder if other people are having the same complaints about the MSISA. Since the goal of the MSISA degree is to prepare one for the CISSP, I hope WGU isn't going WAY overboard with the Risk Assessment and other unnecessary courses in this degree too but I would like someone to chime in on that.

Maybe the unnecessary courses are filler? You're supposed to do a certain amount of work for a master's.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @petedude: Agreed. By unnecessary courses, I meant "filler" courses like you said. I would hate to take a bunch of classes that has nothing to do with the degree or knowledge goals I want to attain. I don't expect a master degree program to give less work, but it doesn't make sense to give excessive redundant information across a bunch of classes, especially when it's not the primary focus of the degree. I expect WGU to evenly balance out every security domain topics that are in line with the CISSP for the MSISA program.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    [HTML][/HTML]So what happens if a student wants to start the MSISA program and already has a CISSP, CEH, Forensic cert, since that what they seem to be basing the Master's on?
  • Options
    htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just started the MS ISA program today, I already have the CEH so I got 3 credit units for that course - so the course FNV2 requirement is met. If you have CHFI, you'll get another 3 credit units for it and the FMV2 course requirement is met.

No credit was given for my CISSP, but when I told my enrollment advisor that I am a CISSP, she said that I was eligible for the program based on that - before she received my undergrad transcript showing my computer science B.S.
    ~ elizabeth
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    htebazile wrote: »
    I just started the MS ISA program today, I already have the CEH so I got 3 credit units for that course - so the course FNV2 requirement is met. If you have CHFI, you'll get another 3 credit units for it and the FMV2 course requirement is met. No credit was given for my CISSP, but when I told my enrollment advisor that I am a CISSP, she said that I was eligible for the program based on that - before she received my undergrad transcript showing my computer science B.S.
    That's a bit odd. They say the program aligns with CISSP, yet you don't get any credit for it. However, they waive CHFI, CCNA and CEH. I'm not saying you should get a free pass, but it just seems strange.
  • Options
    Nothing strange about that at all, the program is based around the same concepts as CISSP but CISSP is not in the program. CEH, CHFI, and CCNA (actually CCENT) are used as final exams for courses, if you've already passed it you obviously can't take it again.

Most Masters programs don't do transfer credits (most, not all), and if they do it's only for courses that are an exact match (not close matches, like a BA/BS program might do). In this case CEH is the course, therefore it's a transfer credit.

@htebazile, who do you work for? Given your list of certs I doubt active duty, GS maybe, or contract?

• Options
    htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Valsacar: I am a federal contractor for now, considering a move to a GS position.... it's just the tax-free income as an overseas contractor is hard to give up, so maybe I'll stick it out a while longer. How about you?
    ~ elizabeth
  • Options
    Same here, GDIT, we just won the rebid so safe for another 5 years. Tax free is nice, but we actually had to report my wife's last year without the exemption (just on her, small, pay) because the IRS said all of my income was tax free therefore all of my IRA was over the limit and wanted to charge a penalty.

• Options
    Where do you find these contract jobs? Wouldn't mind doing a few years overseas.