Options

What do you do with old gear?

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ever since I started reading TE, I have been impressed and also motivated to update my own lab. Until I came across this forum late last year, I didn't realize that other people built and maintained their own labs.

As I started to replace a lot of my gear - I also started to consolidate and organize all the stuff from many decades.

Logically, I know that I probably don't need the old 9600baud high-speed modems icon_lol.gif or the crates of old boards.

Unfortunately, I suffer from "you never know if you might need it" syndrome.

What do you do with all your old gear?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I suffer from "you never know if you might need it" syndrome.
    If you have five widgets worth 50% of list today, and you end up needing one of them a year or two for now, you just re-buy it at that point for 25% of list. Obviously, you should make an exception for scarce parts!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a feeling that if I did have old cisco gear, it'd probably be somewhere boxed up around the house because I only THINK I will need it at some point. I say this because I rebuilt a really old system that I've got around the house with the same, just new parts and I kept the old stuff! That would include the old AGP card, a PCI dial-up card, 200 watt power supply and various other things from what was replaced haha.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    What do you do with all your old gear?

Garage, unfortunately. I think I only last year got rid of some old 486 motherboards (one had a cyrix chip even).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mate had a 42U cabinet in his garage from the previous owner - he turned that into a snake rack lol ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p