Options

Calling our System Administrators!

SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
Hi all,

I was just curious about those of you who currently hold (or held) a Systems Administration position... If I may inquire about a couple aspects of the field since that is what I am currently working my way to be.

1. What certifications did you hold, or do you hold for that position?
2. What kind of network did you support (Windows server based, Linux, etc...)?
3. What were your main day-to-day job duties?
4. What kind of business/company were you working for?

Thanks to all who contribute to this small survey! :)

Just FYI, I will be interviewing for a position tomorrow and I am just trying to gather information to prep me for the interview.
Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
Certifications (Studying):
Network+, Security+
Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)

Comments

• Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I'm a Linux sys admin for a web hosting company. My day to day is anything from un-crashing websites to junior DBA type stuff to figuring out why something a customer has set up is behaving bizarrely. I've got Red Hat certs -- though I don't think that helped me much beyond the initial screening stage.

Mostly they're going to be checking that you:
    a. know what you're doing
    b. are flexible and can try to find work-arounds or find info when you don't know
    c. are responsible
    d. are lazy. No sys admin would ever set up something that will need five minutes of maintenance a month when he can set it up to work properly without maintenance the first time (even if it takes longer).
    e. aren't a BOFH.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a Network Administrator for a State Government Agency. My team supports over 120 remote sites vary in size from 8 to 450 end-users. We're responsible for everything inside the remote site's routers.

I'm typically delegated to project/support activities. But in the event of an outage or any project items I usually lead in the local actions.

Couple Microsoft, couple Comptia. At my level they don't provide any incentives to work on certs.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I am essentially the systems admin for a small state government agency as well. We have a 2008R2 file/print server and an UnRAID NAS box. I support about 20 people in office, 3 field staff, 10 board members and a few from other agencies that work for us. I handle all desktops, laptops, printers and smartphones. I maintain our current database and testing a new one. I also do all IT purchasing and manage larger upgrade/investment initiatives. Textbook JOAT I suppose. ;)

I have my MCP for Windows XP, CompTIA A+, Net+ and Security+. BSIT from WGU is on the list pending reimbursement status from my agency.

Have to be flexible and able to multitask and prioritize across multiple specialties. For me anyway, there is generally no "team" or another guy I can **** or redirect stuff to. The main IT division offers services (and the goal is to centralize everything to them eventually), but I usually only contact them to inquire about statewide services (email for example.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback and advice!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Network+, Security+
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'm currently a Systems Administrator!

-Only a MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    -Currently working towards VCP5 and MCITP:SA.

-Primarily Windows with a couple Linux based servers thrown in the mix where necessary.

-Support and maintain ~80 virtualized servers along with their hosts and ~15 physical servers.
    -Support and maintain the few different SANs we have.
    -Research and implement new technologies(most recently looking into implementing VDI to reduce hardware costs as well as migrating to Lync).
    -Create and maintain the imaging process for new deployments.
    -Support Cisco phone system and voice mail.

I also get quite a bit of strange work such as light web development, A/V systems support, international videoconferencing, ect. Pretty much if it's complicated then I'm the one responsible for supporting it.

-An international architecture firm with 5 expanding offices worldwide. Being international means our servers are in use 24/7 which makes any downtime a big no-no.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Working for an MSP, I would say I fall under the system admin role, amongst other things.

1. What certifications did you hold, or do you hold for that position? - MCITP:SA, it's really the most relevant to what we do daily.
    2. What kind of network did you support (Windows server based, Linux, etc...)? Windows based primarily, SBS and regular server distros.
    3. What were your main day-to-day job duties? Anything and everything, i'm the support engineer supervisor. Simple password resets to on-boarding new clients, to processing billing for our support guys. You name it, I do it.
    4. What kind of business/company were you working for? MSP, we have around 80 clients or so with more coming on every day. Trying to get us into offering managed security services as well, which is where i'd like to try and make my niche.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Sponx wrote: »

Security + with CE

Windows Server based with a Cisco / Dell back end.

Support for all software developers, maintain server and workstation images, hardening devices and software, maintain servers, networking equipment, SAN, etc. Manage Enterprise virus solutions which include HIPS, Firewall (Network and Local machine), VPN support, etc.

HP Enterprise Services, supporting a particular contract.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Certifications are on my sig/profile although I did not hold any certs when I become a sys admin. I did have about 5 years of help desk/tech support experience however.

All Windows

Everything Active Directory, Exchange, Backups, monitoring, new server builds

Medical device manufactuer
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    1. Windows 2000 Pro MCP (back when it was relevant), Dell SAN Solutions Provider, Dell PowerVault 136T Solutions Provider, CompTIA Security+

2. Mostly Windows with some occasional *nix.

3. AD, DNS, DHCP, File and Print Services, Exchange, SQL, BES, Windows Clustering, DFS, IIS, SMS, Backups, etc. Much much more, and not all necessarily at the same time. Often I was the primary for some, and alternate for others. Depends on the position I was holding at the time.

4. DoD, Fortune 500 companies in several different industries, and a Hospital. Not all at once of course, and not necessarily in that order. ;)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sys Admin in da house

<-- see box to the left

Windows, around 20 physical hosts and 55 virtual at two locations (HQ + colo)

- AD, Exchange, OCS/Lync, RAS, AV, BES administration
    - Backups, recovery, replication, offsite tape vaulting
    - VMware and Hyper-V maintenance
    - Little bit of VOIP system admin tasks
    - Little bit of SQL
    - Video conference systems support
    - Basically anything else our Tier 1/2 guy can't figure out

Currently SaaS but did Healthcare, big pharma and communications before this gig.
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nhpr wrote: »
    I've got Red Hat certs -- though I don't think that helped me much beyond the initial screening stage.
    Curious as to which Red Hat certs you have, and why you think they don't help you beyond the initial screening.Thanks.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Another SA over here.

-None. I worked on gaining experience and taking classes. Certifications were an after thought until a year or so ago.

- SMB network. Linux back end, mixed front.

- Today, FTP server issues, backup / tape library log review, researching new SAN/NAS and asset management options, and if there is time, continue testing a new WSUS lab deployment.

I'm a JOAT in every sense. I am tasked with everything from writing company security policies to handling storage, backup, or workstation issues. Working for an SMB (or small subsidiary), you end up wearing all kinds of hats and while it's great experience, the next step is to refine ones skills to a focused area. Which incidentally is what I'm currently working on.

- I work for an entertainment company.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    I've literally never had a title other than sys admin, its what I started out as. I've worked at a web host, a bank, and currently a managed service provider (euphemism for outsourcer) as 'Unix Admin.' Depending on the environment it can be a somewhat demanding and stressful position. When I worked at a bank I was directly responsible for the ibm p6 servers running AIX. These servers processed all of the transactions and were extremely critical, and I had my fair share of 16+ hour days during outages/restoring the databases etc.

IMO you really need to love your operating system of choice to get any enjoyment out of this job. You're completely invisible (which can be great) until something breaks. Its pretty thankless and boring most of the time, and stressful the rest. If I had any advice I'd say only take 'real' sysadmin positions, and stay away from things like web hosts where you'll be glorified help desk.

Basically nothing, I was mainly evaluated by my knowledge in interviews I guess. I'm working on my RHCE right now though because I'd like to pursue the higher level Red Hat certs eventually.
    Linux/AIX/Solaris mostly, a few HPUX systems.
    Get ticket, fix problem. We do a lot of monitoring so we mostly deal with Nagios, and a handful of random config/kernel issues.
    A big managed service provider
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hi all,

1. Same ones I current hold, sans CCIP/GSEC. My company didn't respect unix or window certs
    2. All-inclusive. The vast majority were unix based hosts, but there were a healthy amount of Windows boxen as well
    as appliance type boxen
    3. Making it all work. Everything from installation of hardware/software, fault resolution, configuration, hardware/software upgrades. The only thing
    that was strictly off limits was we would not write or fix code to support a customers application (we frequently wrote code to support our own needs). Each of our customers had unique setups, so there was no standard job duty. One day I'd mucking about with Windows Media Services, the next day I'd have to do custom compilation to support h.264 streaming via lighttpd, while proxying dynamic content to Apache on the backend. Never knew what was going to be the flavor of the day.
    4. Web hosting/Co-location faciltiy
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another SA here.

1. My certs are listed on the left

2. We are an almost entirely Windows shop, with some Linux servers for the Networks team. Over 350 physical and virtual servers spread over multiple sites in Melbourne. Multi-domain forest with over 3000 users and one of the most complex networks in Australia (according to a Business magazine).

3. I am a Backups Admin/Systems Engineer/Junior SAN admin/VMware admin, basically a JOAT. I manage a 60TB HP Data Protector backups infrastructure and working my way towards the Storage team. I dont work on tickets much these days, thankfully, except for the one/two restores that come in every day.

4. A big MSP, one of the biggest in Australia. This MSP also has one of the largest customers in the country, supporting 26,000 computers for one government customer alone. Easy-going environment.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I was just curious about those of you who currently hold (or held) a Systems Administration position... If I may inquire about a couple aspects of the field since that is what I am currently working my way to be.

Just FYI, I will be interviewing for a position tomorrow and I am just trying to gather information to prep me for the interview.
    1. The ones on the left, although I really need to be pushing my CCNP TBH
    2. All sorts, but mainly Windows then Linux
    3. Main duties involve troubleshooting and consulting for the network. Obviously updating documentation and speaking to clients (both internal and external) regarding needs of the network. Most of the time, it's bringing Project Managers back to the ground from flights of fancy - serves them right for not involving us until the 11th hour! I also build/deploy servers and get involved with as much as possible TBH.
    4. Financial Services/Insurance.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    The interview seemed to go well, they are going to have a telepresence with their team and I on Thursday/Friday and see what happens after that. :)

Network+, Security+
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I currently have A+, Net+, MCTS: Active Directory and that is it. Sitting for VCP4 on Fri.
    Majority windows, with 2 RH5 Linux servers as well.
    Any and everything. t1/2/3 helpdesk, server administration, VoIP issues, networking issues (cisco/dell gear), vpn/firewall mgmt, SAN, ESXi, vSphere, etc etc etc and pretty much anything with a power cord it seems lol.
    Multiple companies. Owners of this co own multiple business but only use 1 IT dept (3 people- entry lvl help desk guy, sys admin[me], and Director of IT), so we handle ~120 users at a Distributor with 4 regional offices, ~50 users at a chem manufacturing plant, and ~15 users at a office mgmt/golf course that owners use as their HQ ha. Each co uses a separate ERP with separate requirements and blah. Gets very stressful at times!

Needless to say, I am the epitome of the JOAT in small/med business. lol.

And good luck on your interviews!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel