Options

CCNP Materials

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello guys,

I am going for the CCNP after getting a pretty good position as a Network Engineer. My boss is really pressuring me also to know everything on our network.... from Routing (BGP), MPLS, VPNs, Metro E, T1... everything lol. So I have gathered some equipment for lab. I will be stacking the following up and using the network & lab from INE.

5 Cisco 3550 - Layer 3 switches
1 Cisco 3560 - Layer 3 switch
3 2621 XM Routers
1 2611 XM Router
1 2801 ISR Router
2 Pix 515 E Firewall
1 Cyclades ACS 16 - Console Server

I will be reading & watching the CCNP Route book from cisco press. One thing I am undecided is if to get the Jeff Doyle TCP/IP books. I see there are 2 volumes... Volume 1 2nd edition and Volume 2.... both are recommended or should I just stick with the CCNP Route book?

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have a great lab. If you could incorporate VMs (it would be great; however, you can make two of the routers into hosts).

As far as reading material, the fundamental learning guides are great, as they're a little more I depth than the certification guides. Supplanting them with say a video series from INE or CBT Nuggets, would be good in order to further cement the topics.

I've never read the Doyle books and believe they just revised them and would help strengthen your networking knowledge, but it's not essential to passing the certs. If your boss is pressuring you more for your job then you probably should read it.
  • Options
    yes well I am getting another 2801 on the way because the INE lab workbook needs 6 routers. I currently have 5 of them.

Yes I think with the Certification books & videos and labs I should be all set.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't know INE.com has a lab workbook for CCNP. Where did you find it?

I'm on their website now.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Its an old CCNP workbook not for the latest though but it still has some darn good labs. Just do a google search for INE CCNP Workbook
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd hate to post a whole new thread to ask this, but can somebody PLEASE post the recommended books for the following:

CCNP: Switch, Route, TShoot

The sticky thread seems a bit dated
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently using the Foundation Learning Guide and the Official Cert Guide for Route. Seem good so far but im only about 2 chapters in on both.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I'd hate to post a whole new thread to ask this, but can somebody PLEASE post the recommended books for the following:

CCNP: Switch, Route, TShoot

The sticky thread seems a bit dated

I use the single-source method. Read once. Take notes. Practice.

Switch: Switching Simplified (softcover or kindle)
    Route: Cisco Press Routing Field Learning Guide
    Tshoot: It's just review. Implement the exam topology per their website.