Options

University of Florida Closing Computer Science Department

2»

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I would love to talk more about this, since this subject is very near and dear to my heart: education.

I went to college, because there is peer pressure to go from everyone and it is a norm that if you want a GOOD job, you have to go to college.

Now that I have two degrees under my belt and a few certifications, I'm basically competing with people who have no college for entry level jobs, like suck-ass IT help desk jobs. I can't get a better job, so now I'm in the US Army. When I went to grad school, the woman oversold the program and said I would be doing all this hands-on work and have all of theses companies beating on my door wanting to hire me. Total hype...

We are starting to see alot of backlash against college (also look at my signature).

Education Revolution, Education Evolution - A* podcast, You Tube channel, and on-line community dedicated to r e d e f i n i n g * " e d u c a t i o n "

Peter Schiff exposes college scam - Interviews Kelli Space (1 of 2) - YouTube

John Stossel - Is College A Rip-off? - YouTube

- Why College is the Biggest Scam in America Today! - YouTube

People are figuring out why spend all of that money and get nothing in return. I'm lucky, I lived below my means and worked my way thru and had no student loan debt coming out of it. If I had to do it over again, I would not go to college. A total waste of time and money.

Also, lets start talking about home-schooling or unschooling. Lets let people know they have an alternative to public education or re-education, as I like to call it.

I agree with you on this when it comes to IT. Ive listed how many people I personally know in the IT field that doesn't have any college degree. However, they are engineers who are making big bucks. I believe when it comes to IT. IT certifications + 2-3 years experience will blow away the college graduate. Most managers will hire a guy that have IT certs and years of experience VS college graduate that is just starting to get experience.

If a kid invested money on a CCIE lab + bootcamp and workbook/ time 1-2 years = $10,000
    A bachelors degree will cost you/time 4-5years = $30k-60k? depending which school
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I agree with you on this when it comes to IT. Ive listed how many people I personally know in the IT field that doesn't have any college degree. However, they are engineers who are making big bucks. I believe when it comes to IT. IT certifications + 2-3 years experience will blow away the college graduate. Most managers will hire a guy that have IT certs and years of experience VS college graduate that is just starting to get experience.

If a kid invested money on a CCIE lab + bootcamp and workbook/ time 1-2 years = $10,000
    A bachelors degree will cost you/time 4-5years = $30k-60k? depending which school

Of course somebody with certs and experience will blow away a college graduate. Except you have college graduates, with IT certs and experience also.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Of course somebody with certs and experience will blow away a college graduate. Except you have college graduates, with IT certs and experience also.

This is why I went back to finish my degree with WGU. In a couple of months I will have a BS plus 7 years experience plus a few good certs. Puts my resume closer to, if not at, the top of the pile.