Options

Windows 7 certs still worth it though Windows 8 coming out later this year?

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've tinkered with the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 and was not too impressed. I do like Windows 7 though I still do not see a lot of computers running Windows 7 in the workplace. At where I work, a community college, there are still lots of PCs running Windows XP, though Windows 7 is taught in the academic programs. Thus, even after Win 8 is released, will Windows 7 certs still be in demand?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say it's worth pursuing now, but I would not begin pursuing any 7 certifications after summer. I would say September is the cut-off before wait-and-see is advisable.

Stopping work on XP to work on Vista wouldn't have been advisable except that the Vista test was much easier. Vista certs never became high-demand, (though MCITP EA did) and then 7 came out.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the Windows 7 certs should be viable for quite some time, but with the recent changes by Microsoft, that will probably change.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I think the Windows 7 certs should be viable for quite some time, but with the recent changes by Microsoft, that will probably change.

I concur.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, our company usually isn't afraid to be cutting edge and upgrade to a newer OS. However, we will not be upgrading to 8 anytime soon, if at all as 7 is the new standard for us (and many others). We have a feeling that 8 will be a "vista or ME" like flop and will not bother with it at all. 7 runs great for our needs and just like XP, will likely be a highly visible OS for us for years to come. 7 is well worth is as more companies transition off of XP to 7 in the near future. 8 just doesn't appear to have the traction needed to wait and pursue that one instead.
  • Options
    ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't see many companies moving forward on windows 8 within the next couple years. A lot of companies are just migrating to windows 7 now. There is still a ton running XP.
  • Options
    MokilokMokilok Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Given the massive change from XP to Windows vista and seven I would say that most companies skipped vista and prepared for seven. Now that windows 7 is so common I wouldn't expect to see a lot of windows 8 in the corporate environment anytime soon. Also they have marketed this operating system more towards the mobile device world with a Tablet GUI etc.. I wouldn't use it in a corporate environment unless that main screen could be disabled.
  • Options
    the_erickeethe_erickee Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a 2-for-1 deal going on now. If you enter a Voucher code and pay full price for the Windows 7 exam, you will get a free exam voucher for Windows 8 when it becomes available. https://www.bsf01.com/creatives/prometric/Microsoft_TwoForOne/TwoForOne_Home.aspx
    Erick Marshall - @erickbm

MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 2015,VCAP,VCP5 x2,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We are finally just now doing an enterprise wide migration to Windows 7 from XP. No plans to go Windows 8 in the near future (or far future for that matter). Windows 7 is going to be a great certification for quite a while. Microsoft also has a deal going on (got it in my email) - take the Win7 exam, get the Win8 exam free later this year. Can't beat that, really. Not much of a bet for which one is better, as you'll get both for the same price.

ronzilla wrote: »
    I can't see many companies moving forward on windows 8 within the next couple years. A lot of companies are just migrating to windows 7 now. There is still a ton running XP.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Win 7 will likely be the new XP. As far as clients go, it's probably safe to certify on it. Most large companies don't move all that quick when it comes to updating workstations. The usual plan is whether or not the OS will work in their environment, and if so, then all new deployments are done with that, while the old hosts are systematically upgraded or replaced.

Win7 should be safe to certify on for the next few years, especially if a company just got through upgrading from XP era software... they're not going to want to do it all over again so soon.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess Ronzilla and PC509 summed it about companies jumping into Windows 8. I still see organizations with Windows XP pro and Win. 7 hasn't even been a conversation yet. I'm just seeing recruiters post jobs about Windows 7 migrations but; this is after the Windows 2003 -Windows 2008 upgrades. I think maybe another 2 years before a big push or conversation for the new Windows 8. The funny part of this all is when all future Microsoft certifications have expiration dates on them not just the expiry support of the OS.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on what market you are employed in. I don't see Windows 8 making any impact in the enterprise market. Assuming there was adoption it would require a complete hardware upgrade to use the touch screen features. I can see it making impacts in the home market (quickly) and in the kiosk/retail business & the food services industry.

If you can handle it, I'd do both. I think in the long run the tablet market has a bright future & MS will try to make inroads in it. They do have the advantage of being able to create a native OS that works seamlessly with their current products.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you'll be fine. Nearly every time I go to a prometric centre and I look at the sign in list I see someone doing 70-270!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm with everyone else. For myself, I am still prepping for the Windows 7. I would say if you support home users, windows 8 cert would be a good idea.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Buzz lol that cracks me up. I had a friend a while back do 272 1 month before the exam went inactive. I asked him why. he thought it would look good to have an MCP.

O well I suppose
  • Options
    ampersandampersand Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The healthcare system I work for still uses Windows XP, but we are working on Windows 7 deployment. I'd recommend the Windows 7 certification path.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We are just beginning to move to Windows 7, and when I say JUST, I mean we will not be completely moved over until MAYBE next year. Windows 7 is probably the next XP for the enterprise.
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently at the community college where I work, English and Math departments are moving in to a new classroom building, andall labs there are being updated to Windows 7. Other labes across campus will get it later. Staff and faculty won't get it most likely until they get a new PC, though there will be some exceptions I'm sure. For enterprise, I think 7 is the way to go. I would rather use a Mac than mess with Windows 8! I am certainly not impressed.
  • Options
    CEHwanabeCEHwanabe Banned Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes they are. I would say W7 will stay around like 4 years everywhere.
    RD28327 wrote: »
    I've tinkered with the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 and was not too impressed. I do like Windows 7 though I still do not see a lot of computers running Windows 7 in the workplace. At where I work, a community college, there are still lots of PCs running Windows XP, though Windows 7 is taught in the academic programs. Thus, even after Win 8 is released, will Windows 7 certs still be in demand?
  • Options
    ha1o2surferha1o2surfer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Windows 7 being the next XP. Windows 8 looks like it's going to be a hassle to make enterprise ready. (In its current state)
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 7 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is still a valid path for certification.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management