Options

What can be achieved with the right certs, hard work, and little luck

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Been pretty busy studying for VCAP5-DCD so I haven't posted in a while, but an exciting event happened and wanted to share with the TE community.

Just signed an offer letter to work at a mid-sized datacenter as 1 of the VMware experts. Wasn't looking for a new position, but couldn't say no to 6 figure salary and a chance to work with 100+ hosts.

Its been 2 years since I decided to switch to IT. Couldn't have made it w/out the support of my family and the knowledge I gained while visiting TE.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Congratulations :)
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice work! Congrats!

Very inspiring and you should be proud of your accomplishments!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Success comes with hardwork. You gotta make your own luck to have it :)

Congrats sir I'm happy for you
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's great, congratulations!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    2 years and already a VMWare wizard? Nice! ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking, two years to a 6 figure salary? Wowsa. I've been hoping I could get close to that with a five year plan, that's kind of amazing.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seems I am a failure in IT, congrats!!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Location, location, location. VA is a hotbed and salaries are high due to the ridiculous cost of living.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Shake & bake man! congrats !

Location, location, location. VA is a hotbed and salaries are high due to the ridiculous cost of living.

VA is an awesome place to live/work icon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! It's nice to see those success stories.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

So it evens out, I guess. I've heard of rental prices that scare me just thinking about it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great work - It's extremely uplifting to see hard work directly impact one's life in a positive way. Congratulations!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job!!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I hate leaving my current job since I enjoy the work and the people, but I need to do what's best for my career and family.
    SteveLord wrote: »
    2 years and already a VMWare wizard? Nice! ;)

Nope. Maybe I'll feel that way after passing VCAP5-DCA & DCD.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    So it evens out, I guess. I've heard of rental prices that scare me just thinking about it.

Cost of living is higher in northern VA...down around Richmond its not bad at all and a lot of people make the commute to NOVA from there.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Didn't expect such a strong reaction from current employer after giving notice. Had to promise the division VP I would seriously consider their counter offer. Normally I would leave after giving notice, but not so sure this time. It should have all the benefits of the new position w/out the drawbacks.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    dave330i wrote: »
    Didn't expect such a strong reaction from current employer after giving notice. Had to promise the division VP I would seriously consider their counter offer. Normally I would leave after giving notice, but not so sure this time. It should have all the benefits of the new position w/out the drawbacks.

So your saying you your current employer is stepping up to the plate money wise but what about the 100+ hosts? Do you have that capacity at your current place of employment?

I say all things being equal the devil you know if better than the devil you don't. All things being equal that is.
  • Options
    rs2606rs2606 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man I love reading posts like this to give me motivation to keep working my my certs/college while working full time as a Network Engineer. I know who I'm sending my vm questions to now :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would be very cautious about not leaving after you have told them. It usually doesn't end well.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Big congrats and major props! Well done.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Normally I would leave after giving notice, but not so sure this time. It should have all the benefits of the new position w/out the drawbacks.

Apart from the drawback of everyone knowing you wanted to leave. That will always be at the back of their minds.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

First of all, congratulations!

Second of all, I'm not gonna beat a dead horse; thank your Division VP and decline the counter offer. Once you've made the decision to give notice, you have to own up to that and leave. Otherwise, the next time you are faced with leaving the company it won't be on your own terms.

I'm sure your current company sounds great, otherwise you wouldn't want to leave in the first place, but since you gave notice, it is just best to leave amicably and move on to the next gig.

This isn't personal; it's business. You really need to stress that.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    This isn't personal; it's business. You really need to stress that.

Exactly. Let them know you appreciate the offer and have enjoyed your time there but its time to move on and further your career. If they can't understand that then why would you want to work with them anyway?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    "Thanks for the counter offer! I needed something to wipe my butt with!"

j/k Don't really say that. But if you do, please record it and share it on YouTube. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    "Thanks for the counter offer! I needed something to wipe my butt with!"

j/k Don't really say that. But if you do, please record it and share it on YouTube. ;)

I almost spit my water out at my keyboard!

That is effing hilarious though.

(But for real though...don't do that...treat this as the funny joke it is.)