Options

Is being a Freelance IT Tech Resume worthy

matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
do you guys think working for a company freelance (eg. small projects, printer setup, general support) should go on a resume?
kind of side work i guess, as needed IT would be how i would describe it
What do you think?
Thanks
Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    It depeneds...

Are you their exclusive consultant? Do you do this sort of work for any other company?

If you are getting a 1099 for your work, then certainly there is no question to include it. If you are not getting a 1099, then I would definately leave it off, but it can possibly count as your experience.

I am not looking to pin you into a corner about the 1099, but a 1099 will show that you are doing a large volume of work and it will show you as a professional. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the situation is kind of weird. they needed someone to help supplement their IT needs, I'm a college student and I am cheap (I assume). So its a Check for my services no real paper trail. from your response maybe leave it off.. I don't even know what to call myself lol
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like IT Support
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say it is worthy, but be prepared to defend it if there's no paper trail.

If it goes more than a few weeks it's worth getting 1099'd just for this reason.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's worthy if it's valuable experience. You can make an project base area on your resume which show you have been working. The most important thing about I.T. if you don't have fulltime work to show on the resume but, you have something i.e. volunteering on someone else network, short project's etc. versus at home playing Call of Duty.

Job Title: *IT Consultant