Options

I.T. Job Interview Today

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
HI ALL,

I had an interview today for a position in I.T. development and programming. There were 10 questions asked and the first question they asked me about my skills in knowledge with SQL, Visual Basic, HTML, web-enabled applications and project management. I have no prior experience in project management, but I am familar with the concepts. I also don't have web experience, but I said I am willing and able to learn. I have my BA in Management Information Systems and a 5 month internship. There was 1 question though that I don't think they liked my answer. They asked me this question:

If you were the only one in the I.T. Dept because your Manager and the other 5 co-workers went to a training seminar for 2 days and there was a database that the Accounting dept. could not access because the password isn't working and they are having multiple problems with it. You are very unfamiliar with the database and have never worked with it before. What would you do?

I said I would refer to the developer who created the database and then the interviewer said, "What if the developer is one of the co-workers that is on a 2-day training." I then said I would refer to any manual or information that would assist me in resolving the problem. If I am unable to find any technical support information I would then have no choice but to contact the developer.

It didn't seem like he liked my answer by the expression on his face. Does it sound like I answered the question ok?

Comments

• Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Documentation....Documentation....Documentation....Documentation....
  • Options
    cat6cat6 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what is the correct response?
  • Options
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Documentation....Documentation....Documentation....Documentation....

What do you mean documentation?! I'm confused...???
  • Options
    I have no idea what the correct reponse is. They don't tell me the answer even after the interview is over. How would you have answered that question.
  • Options
    Charles0778Charles0778 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All help desk and tech support issues should be documented with the issue, cause and solution somewhere in there system. It would be one of the first places I would check if I didn't know how to fix the problem.
    Thank you,

Charles S. Snedegar Sr.
    MCSE Security |Security + |CEH |Network + |A +
  • Options
    All help desk and tech support issues should be documented with the issue, cause and solution somewhere in there system. It would be one of the first places I would check if I didn't know how to fix the problem.

Oh ok. I didn't know this as I have never had an I.T. job.. the closet I had to a job was an internship and I mostly worked with databases and application development. I never learned about documented issue, cause and solution. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I'm still trying to break into the field myself but from my readings and my school studies documenting the issue and the full follow through of the problem is one of the steps in the troubleshooting process. I'm sure most companies have something like it in place as a resource.
    Thank you,

Charles S. Snedegar Sr.
  • Options
    Well maybe I missed that part in school. I really don't recall doucumenting. It is something that I will read upon though.
  • Options
    From what I see on job descriptions for help desk jobs there is a program for documenting the tickets(calls ) into there database. Document is the last step in the troubleshooting process just looked it up in my CompTIA A+ study guide just to be sure.
    Thank you,

Charles S. Snedegar Sr.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Job spec mentions SQL admin requirements. They mention that the password isn't working. So it appears they input the login details manually. If you are the only one then you cannot insist by calling te developer. At this stage you don't even know if it's a coding issue. As someone who has SQL knowledge, you could probably have asked how they authenticate, DB user / password or Windows authentication. If its the former you could reset the password of the DB user. If its the latter then it might be the Windows User is locked etc.

If unsure and the application doesn't need a developer to use different credentials, you could even check the current user permissions and create a new user and associate it with the database, as temp. fix.

Personally I think they tested you if you can think outside the box and whether you are pro-active or not.

Job requirements mention SQL so these troubleshooting steps are quite basic.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p