Options

Which would be best? Network Administration or Network Design and Management @ WGU?

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Hi everyone, I will be starting WGU on May 1st and I was wondering which of these two degree path would be better. Network Administration or Network Design and Management?

My background in networking has been educational mainly but I do have some hand on experience with a couple of companies. My education background come from Devry University for a BS in Network and Communication Management degree program however; after transferring to WGU I have notice that the only different between those two degree path is the CCNA or Net+. I am starting a new job with a company going to be expose to network setups, hardware of all kind, OC3, OC12 and OC48 etc.... Which of those two degree will be better for me entering a much higher networking position? Keep in mind all I have is a A+ and a few cert that are not from Comptia, Microsoft or any company of that level. I am also will be getting trained with the company and most of the job will be base on Remote Tech Support, Customer Service, the Occasional Cisco router installation and troubleshooting communication. These system handle Data, Phone and Cable.

Thanks In Advance!

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think Network Design and Management sounds better but not sure if it really matters to be honest.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    itangel wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I will be starting WGU on May 1st and I was wondering which of these two degree path would be better. Network Administration or Network Design and Management?

My background in networking has been educational mainly but I do have some hand on experience with a couple of companies. My education background come from Devry University for a BS in Network and Communication Management degree program however; after transferring to WGU I have notice that the only different between those two degree path is the CCNA or Net+. I am starting a new job with a company going to be expose to network setups, hardware of all kind, OC3, OC12 and OC48 etc.... Which of those two degree will be better for me entering a much higher networking position? Keep in mind all I have is a A+ and a few cert that are not from Comptia, Microsoft or any company of that level. I am also will be getting trained with the company and most of the job will be base on Remote Tech Support, Customer Service, the Occasional Cisco router installation and troubleshooting communication. These system handle Data, Phone and Cable.

Thanks In Advance!

You will get the CCNA with the Network Admin emphasis, so I'd go with that. With the recent changes to certs at Microsoft, I've heard the Enterprise administrator is kind of left out in the cold.
  • Options
    itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Ic, well hard call, because I want to finish my degree asap so it looks like I might go the Net+ route for now and shot to get my CCNA later on. Since is a matter of a single Cert different which is why I don't get why one is Network Administration over the other degree title. O_o

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT