Options

WGU class questions

MeatRocketMeatRocket Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm sure there are tons of questions like this, but none that match my particular classes. WGU has evaluated my degree and certs & has provided me with the following list of classes. I'm just curious how long you guys think it might take to complete them?:

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
IWC1 Literature, Arts and the Humanities
IWT1 Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation
BNC1 Organizational Behavior and Leadership
DFV1 Web Development Fundamentals
BOV1 Web Programming
TPV1 Proejct Management
CUV1 Web Tech
COV1 Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
CQV1 Interconnecting Network Devices
AJV1 Server Administration
RBT1 Network Administration Capstone Written Project
SBT1 Technical Writing

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    MeatRocket wrote: »
    I'm sure there are tons of questions like this, but none that match my particular classes. WGU has evaluated my degree and certs & has provided me with the following list of classes. I'm just curious how long you guys think it might take to complete them?:

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    BOV1 Web Programming
    TPV1 Proejct Management
    CUV1 Web Tech
    SBT1 Technical Writing

No more than 2 terms for sure.

Some people could knock that out in 1 term for sure also. Just depends how much effort you want to put forth on your studies. If you're motivated enough and have the time you could do it in 1 term.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    BOV1 Web Programming
    TPV1 Project Management
    CUV1 Web Tech
    SBT1 Technical Writing

Welcome to the forum.
    How much experience do you have? I did IWC1, IWT1, BNC1, in 3 weeks. Is the WFV1 the CIW: Foundations? If so, that is an easy course with a mix of A+, Net+, Sec+ with some HTML tossed in. I'd say you will be done in 2 terms max.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828

WFV1 IT Fundamentals I
    BOV1 Web Programming
    TPV1 Proejct Management
    CUV1 Web Tech
    SBT1 Technical Writing

TPV1 is Project+. That one is pretty gruelling. I knocked it out in about 10 days by studying 6 - 8 hours a day.

WFV1, I just reviewed HTML and took it the next day.

DFV1, BOV1, and CUV1 took me 4 to 6 weeks combined. DFV1 was harder than I expected, took me twice to pass it. Use the LearnKey videos.

COV1 and CQV1 are the ICND1 and ICND2 exams for the CCNA. You might be able to get through them in 4 weeks, but it would be tough. I pushed it to 3 weeks and passed ICND1 and barely failed ICND2. Most people seem to take 2 to 3 months at the very least for these 2 exams.

SBT1/RBT1 is your capstone. Im just starting mine now and you don't want to wait until the last thing for this class. You submit your paper to TaskStream for grading and wait up to 5 days for a reply. If you have any edits to make, you have submit it again and wait up to 5 days again. I'm giving myself 2 months to do these 2 classes around working on CQV1 and CNV1.

I didn't have to do IWC1, IWT1 or AJV1. BNC1 is a breeze.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually, those lists of classes look like they're very doable in one term. Definitely no more than two, but if one hustles enough, I could see these classes being done in one term.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.
    How much experience do you have? I did IWC1, IWT1, BNC1, in 3 weeks. Is the WFV1 the CIW: Foundations? If so, that is an easy course with a mix of A+, Net+, Sec+ with some HTML tossed in. I'd say you will be done in 2 terms max.

Thanks for all your replies! I got my AAS in Computer Science 1995, been MS certified since 1997. Currently an MCSA 2003 & Security +. WGU has agreed to transfer in AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 LUT1 GAC1 HHT1 QLT1 INC1 INT1 BVC1 CLC1 AXV1 CPV1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 DEV1 CTV1. I'm going to be taking the MS 70-648 to upgrade my MCSA 2003 to MCITP 2008, so I didn't put AHV1 or AIV1 on the list.
    I've studied for the CCNA several times (even bought (2) 2924XL switches and a 5505 core switch to practice with) but have never gotten around to taking it.
    One of my buddies suggested that I definitely take the 70-648 and CCNA before I enroll in WGU since it will be a lot cheaper for me.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    TPV1 is Project+. That one is pretty gruelling. I knocked it out in about 10 days by studying 6 - 8 hours a day.
    As easy as my Security+ was, I'm suprised that Project+ would be difficult. I am also certified ITIL v3 Foundations, though I'm not sure how closely that relates to Project+. I'm fairly knowledgeable about the project lifecycle so maybe it won't be too bad.
    WFV1, I just reviewed HTML and took it the next day..
    Ironically, I know next to nothing about HTML. I just never had any interest in it. I've had a lot of prgramming classes and use Powershell on a daily basis. Is it more about programming logic, or is it actually specific to HTML?
    DFV1, BOV1, and CUV1 took me 4 to 6 weeks combined. DFV1 was harder than I expected, took me twice to pass it. Use the LearnKey videos.
    Great icon_sad.gif See above! Lol
    COV1 and CQV1 are the ICND1 and ICND2 exams for the CCNA. You might be able to get through them in 4 weeks, but it would be tough. I pushed it to 3 weeks and passed ICND1 and barely failed ICND2. Most people seem to take 2 to 3 months at the very least for these 2 exams.
    Since I've studied for these a lot in the past and have equipment & software to practice with, I might try to knock these out before I officially begin at WGU.
    SBT1/RBT1 is your capstone. Im just starting mine now and you don't want to wait until the last thing for this class. You submit your paper to TaskStream for grading and wait up to 5 days for a reply. If you have any edits to make, you have submit it again and wait up to 5 days again. I'm giving myself 2 months to do these 2 classes around working on CQV1 and CNV1.

Cool. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As easy as my Security+ was, I'm suprised that Project+ would be difficult. I am also certified ITIL v3 Foundations, though I'm not sure how closely that relates to Project+. I'm fairly knowledgeable about the project lifecycle so maybe it won't be too bad.

From my understanding, ITIL deals more with service management than project management. There are also forumulae that is native to project management that you need to understand to pass Project+.

FWIW, on Security+ I got 870/900. Project+ was 794/900 (and the funny thing was, I expected Project+ to be much easier since I deal with that almost everyday in my real life.) Hvaing said all of that though, you would do fine with Project+. I pretty much treated it the same way I treated my Security+ studies: read the book (Darril for Security+/Sybex PK0-003 for Project+), answer the end of chapter exams, answer final exam, schedule and take exam, pass it.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Ironically, I know next to nothing about HTML. I just never had any interest in it. I've had a lot of programming classes and use Powershell on a daily basis. Is it more about programming logic, or is it actually specific to HTML?

It is specific to HTML. If you already have programming experience, it shouldn't be very hard for you to get a grasp on it. I would recommend doing WFV1 > BOV1 > CUV1 > DFV1, but if you know Visual basic, DFV1 shouldn't be hard at all. The course materials provided for WFV1, BOV1, and CUV1 are all CIW official curriculum. It is all you need to pass the tests.
    Since I've studied for these a lot in the past and have equipment & software to practice with, I might try to knock these out before I officially begin at WGU.

Do this: study all you can until you are ready for the exams, then start WGU and take these classes first, that way the exam fees are covered by your tuition. $300 savings.
  • Options
    dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is specific to HTML. If you already have programming experience, it shouldn't be very hard for you to get a grasp on it. I would recommend doing WFV1 > BOV1 > CUV1 > DFV1, but if you know Visual basic, DFV1 shouldn't be hard at all. The course materials provided for WFV1, BOV1, and CUV1 are all CIW official curriculum. It is all you need to pass the tests.

Do this: study all you can until you are ready for the exams, then start WGU and take these classes first, that way the exam fees are covered by your tuition. $300 savings.

I do believe this is a good order to go in.. I too am studying for the ICND1 and ICND2 soon.. I will probably take this approach to not waist time studying for somthing I already have the needed hardware for. Now to see what courses they will transfer in for me. Still waiting on PM's so I can get a referral though....