Options

Amusing job descriptions

Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
I get alot of email from recruiters these days. I got another one yesterday, and it caught my eye, because it's with a company that I've now been contacted by 10 different recruiters for. So I took a look over it, and it was fairly standard run of the mill until I got to the following section:
Additional Job Details:

· Heavy switching and routing skills are required.

· Must have 4+ years doing network implementations – heavy switching and routing experience is a must.

· Need a feet on the street person that has been there done that.

· Don’t need VOIP experience

· Wireless experience a plus but not required

· No Network Operations Center experts

· No significant carrier experience (no AT&T, Verizon, etc, t-mobile)

· Travel 50% give or take (typically 30-40%)

· Must be a network engineer – no network administrators

The no NOC experts and no network admin lines had me rolling, apparently whoever is doing their interviews knows the difference, or has learned the difference from painful experience and wants to make sure they have a network geek.

Comments

• Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    The "no significant carrier experience" line seems to be a bit ridiculous. The best network professionals have experience in both data center and carrier level design. While there are probably few engineers with that (emphasis mine) it does seem like an idiot posting these requirements if they exclude someone for "significant carrier experience". If they are looking for an IP engineer then it makes sense to pass on someone with experience only in TDM or legacy technologies.

Also, WTF is "heavy experience"? I am sure by that they mean extensive icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a inexperienced recruiter who wrote that gem up.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What a joke. Some of the best engineers work for the large carriers. No one with a clue would apply for this. All they are going to get is desperate candidates who just need a job. Not the "engineers" they seem to be looking for....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    The "no significant carrier experience" line seems to be a bit ridiculous. The best network professionals have experience in both data center and carrier level design. While there are probably few engineers with that (emphasis mine) it does seem like an idiot posting these requirements if they exclude someone for "significant carrier experience". If they are looking for an IP engineer then it makes sense to pass on someone with experience only in TDM or legacy technologies.

Also, WTF is "heavy experience"? I am sure by that they mean extensive icon_rolleyes.gif

I suppose it depends. Most of the folks who have significant carrier experience are pretty much career SP people, and someone with only that kind of experience doesn't really make a good candidate for enterprise work, unless they have a sizable body of enterprise work to go along with it.

I suspect, however, that it's an incomplete statement and they actually meant no significant carrier experience needed (the rest of the job description does include telecom elements, but as noted above, VOIP isn't needed for the position)
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    "Feet on the street person"? If this is a common expression, then pardon me. I am familiar with "boots on the ground" obviously. This just sounds corny as hell.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sooo... they want someone with heavy router and switching experience and mustn't be a NOC expert? Hmm, double-negative? And also as others have mentioned - feet on the street person? That's such an unprofessional description.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Sooo... they want someone with heavy router and switching experience and mustn't be a NOC expert? Hmm, double-negative? And also as others have mentioned - feet on the street person? That's such an unprofessional description.

No. Alot of NOC personnel like to pass to try and pass themselves off as network engineers after doing NOC work for a few years and getting a few certs. And there's nothing wrong with that, NOC positions are good feeders into entry level work, but this is basically saying we're not going to be your chance to make it, they want someone who has the experience, not just training. And it's a 6 month contract with a pharmaceuticals company, so I can't say I blame them.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    "Feet on the street person"? If this is a common expression, then pardon me. I am familiar with "boots on the ground" obviously. This just sounds corny as hell.

Whoever wrote this wanted to make a rap song prob.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No. Alot of NOC personnel like to pass to try and pass themselves off as network engineers after doing NOC work for a few years and getting a few certs. And there's nothing wrong with that, NOC positions are good feeders into entry level work, but this is basically saying we're not going to be your chance to make it, they want someone who has the experience, not just training. And it's a 6 month contract with a pharmaceuticals company, so I can't say I blame them.
    Ah, I see. I guess I didn't realize that NOC personnel were just the helpdesk for networks. Makes sense.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    · Need a feet on the street person that has been there done that.

· Don’t need VOIP experience

· Wireless experience a plus but not required

· No Network Operations Center experts
    · Must be a network engineer – no network administrators
    It looks to me as if someone copy-pasted internal description of the position/ideal candidate provided by the hiring manager without reading all of it.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs