Options

Google Drive

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
https://drive.google.com/start#home

Anybody get access yet? I signed up yesterday and got the invite today.

I am currently using Dropbox for homework and tech documents, etc but I stuck with the 2GB free access. This has 5GB free and 25gb is pretty cheap at 2.50 a month, not that I need 25GB.

Reason I am going to try it out and might just switch is probably because of Google Docs. I upload a lot of my school pdf files, assignments and convert them to Google Docs. If I can access it from GoodReader on iPad I might just get rid of DropBox.

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I signed up yesterday, too. I haven't had anything back. Not that I need it at all.

I have a DS211j at home that is awesome. I usually transfer all my files to that at the end of the day and has come especially in handy when out in the field and I need something.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have it, but I'm not sure what I would use it for.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Meh... Microsoft's SkyDrive is 7 GB free. http://skydrive.live.com/
    20 GB = $10/year
    50 GB = $25/year
    100 GB = $50/year

I wish I had actually been using it, because they recently did a limited time loyalty offer to upgrade to 25GB for FREE. Limited Time Loyalty Offer - SkyDrive

Much better deal IMHO, and I'm not just saying that because they pay my bills. ;)

Google is late to the "cloud storage" game.
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    come on now tpatt..your in security...all security pros know to stay away from cloud storage. tiss tiss.

On another note, I got 25gb upgrade free from 7gb since I was a previous skydrive user:D
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i have my own ftp server ... im good
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Meh... Microsoft's SkyDrive is 7 GB free. http://skydrive.live.com/
    20 GB = $10/year
    50 GB = $25/year
    100 GB = $50/year

I wish I had actually been using it, because they recently did a limited time loyalty offer to upgrade to 25GB for FREE. Limited Time Loyalty Offer - SkyDrive

Much better deal IMHO, and I'm not just saying that because they pay my bills. ;)

Yeah I have Skydrive but never used it. I think the only reason I find the Google one more useful was the ability to open files with Google Docs in the browser without having to install extra applications. I store a lot of Word docs, Power Point, Excel and PDF files and I can open them without having to install extra applications. Which is probably why I use it only for school work assignments.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I care less about total storage space and more about individual file size limits as I often use services like these to transfer large files. I hear Google drive does not has a file size limit yet, which if true, would be very exciting for me.
  • Options
    vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Yeah I have Skydrive but never used it. I think the only reason I find the Google one more useful was the ability to open files with Google Docs in the browser without having to install extra applications. I store a lot of Word docs, Power Point, Excel and PDF files and I can open them without having to install extra applications. Which is probably why I use it only for school work assignments.

Skydrive has free office apps in the cloud as well. You can open/edit/create the most common office apps which is neat so I really dont need local office installed. skydrive+office cloud=win
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »

That could be a good or a bad thing. Google was "late" search, Face book was "late" to social media. Is Google trying to copy, or do they have things that make it better. From what I hear Google will have a much more open API to google drive than the others. This will mean other developers will be able to integrate it better in to there products.

Time will tell if they can pull it of, but so far drop-box, amazon, skydrive, have for me all fail to tick all the boxes. now its googles go, time will tell if they pull it of. It's not about cost/volume of storage they offer, but how flexible it is to use.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    vsecgod wrote: »
    Skydrive has free office apps in the cloud as well. You can open/edit/create the most common office apps which is neat so I really dont need local office installed. skydrive+office cloud=win

Yeah for me it is not to replace Office but as a way to open, share, do a quick edit on my iPad, Android phone, or if I am visiting somebody and need to share something. I can see it as an easy way to collaborate on school assignments, online game activities, etc. I could in theory ditch Office all together anyways I hardly use any advanced features.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also I notices that Google drive has a history function, so any changes are saved for you to go back to, now that is a nice feature to have.

And the ability to open lots of file types from with in browser with out having the apps installed. Seems like a much more complete cloud solution, than many of the other players.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.