Options

eigrp topology

bjaybjay Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
hello all
working on ccnp route and eigrp now.
i am using gns3 for the attached topology and my problem is that i cant seem to connect multiple physical links to fa0/0 ie sublinks R1(fa0/0.12) -> R2(fa0/0.12) as seen in the diagram.
can somebody help out with this?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    my problem is that i cant seem to connect multiple physical links to fa0/0 ie sublinks R1(fa0/0.12) -> R2(fa0/0.12) as seen in the diagram.
    can somebody help out with this?
    Do you have your CCNA yet? It's required to earn a CCNP and covers the basics of routing and switching.

Imagine--you have a real, live router in front of you. You see a spot (called FastEthernet0/0) you can plug one Ethernet cable into, just as your laptop or PC might have. How would you plug multiple physical cables into it? :p

The rule: If you can't do it with real HW, you can't do it with simulated HW in GNS3.
  • Options
    thanks Veteran
    yes am ccna... and i didnt explain quite well.
    i dont want to connect physical but logical sub interface but as can be seen in the diagram,all the links are sub interfaces of the physical interface fa0/0 so when i connect fa0/0(R1) to fa0/0(R2) , i cant connect fa0/0(R2) to fa0/0(R3) because R2 iss connected to R1 already...i hope u get what i mean,but somehow they make it work.... :) thats why am studying this right now.... or mayb i should make the fa0/0s trunk and allow those vlans addressed to trunk it ?
  • Options
    bjay wrote: »
    i dont want to connect physical but logical sub interface but as can be seen in the diagram,all the links are sub interfaces of the physical interface... i hope u get what i mean,but somehow they make it work.... :)

The diagram-makers have done something nefarious! All of those routers are actually physically interconnected via a switch. That's how Fa0/0 on R3 can talk to R2, R4, and R5. I would say this is a poorly-designed lab for someone who is taking CCNP ROUTE before CCNP SWITCH. They should've been much clearer about the details of the required switch configuration since it's just supporting equipment and not the meat of what you should be focusing on just now.
    or mayb i should make the fa0/0s trunk and allow those vlans addressed to trunk it ?
    That is exactly what you should do, after you introduce a switch between the routers.

GNS3 is better at simulating routers than switches, but it can simulate the switches just fine for this scenario. To simulate a switch in GNS3, start with a router, then drop in an "NM-16ESW" module. Hopefully you know how to configure a switch. If not, you may be better off learning from a better lab vendor. I enjoyed Cisco's CCNP ROUTE lab manual.
  • Options
    Hey thanks 4 ur replies but that topology is from INE bootcamp for ccnp route and am kinda following it to the letter
  • Options
    bjay wrote: »
    but that topology is from INE bootcamp for ccnp route
    The source of the lab doesn't change anything that I said.
  • Options
    yes i see what u mean and i appreciate, going to add switches to the topology using NM16ESW ... going back to work.cheers.