How to take MCTIP Server 2008 Administrator

DB77DB77 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I worked with Server 2003/2008 R2 a few years back doing very basic functions. Since then I have got my CCNA and now work for an ISP but hate it. I would like get back to a position working with a company that supports customer LANs and have decided to obtain the MCITP 2008 Server Admin cert. It's my understanding that the three test that make up this cert can be taken separately. Is that correct? Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to take them? How far apart? What are the best study materials that will cover the R2 stuff? Can they be passed without setting up a home lab but rather using sims? I am very motivated to pass these tests but do not have the money to setup a home lab. Any advice guidance or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Three seperate tests to earn MCITP:SA:
    70-640(Active Directory, Certificate Services, etc),
    70-642(focused on networking and remote access)
    70-646(server admin pro test).

I've taken the first two and will be taking 70-646 next week. With your CCNA, likely the 70-642 will be the easiest test for you because of your network background. 70-640 and 70-642 also have a fair amount of overlap in material.

I've taken each test about two months apart but that's with a lax schedule studying only doing a couple hours or so a day and some weekend study. I used the official MSPress 2008 R2 study guides along with the 2008 R2 Server Unleashed book. Technet is also a very indept source to study deeper when you want more information or clarity on an exam objective.

Edit: Finish the tests before April 2013 and I think it earns you both the MCITP:SA but a new MCSA as well.

You will definitely want to lab but you can easily set that up on a modest computer with free virtualization software and running a few server 2008 virtual machines you can wipe and reinstall quite often to test all the roles. You will need to be familiar with how the material matches up with your mouse clicks and cmd prompt commands. I've had questions where the answer is only asking you what tab to press in a dialog prompt to accomplish a task and it's hard to know those without labbing yourself.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    can u please elaborate on why u hate the ISP job, a lot of folks here say is the first step after getting your cisco cert. I'm a little curious cos I thinking of changing jobs too.
  • DB77DB77 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate my ISP job because there is a lot of office politics and I basically sit in a cube all day doing one single function. The money is OK but I miss the days of actually working with customers, making service calls, touching hardware, and working with a number of different systems/technologies. I've worked both with configuring routers all day long at ISP and doing network/sysadmin stuff for a small company that provided IT/telecom solutions for other small businesses and much much prefer the latter because I feel less like a robot going through the motions.

I think I will be able to pick up a cheap used x64 Proliant server and get a 180 day trial of Server 2008 R2 to setup a lab with a couple of cheap PCs from Craigslist. Also what would be the best order to take the tests in? The order that Pishof listed them in? I have two young children and can't study for more than three hours a day during the week and maybe six on the weekend. My plan is to buy the lab equipment and study materials and study each exam for one month and then take it and move on to the next one immediately after. Study all of May and take the 640, study all of June and take the 642, study all of Jule and finish with the 646.

What do you guys think?
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    With the right machine, you can setup a lab on just 1 box.

Don't bother with trials, get a TechNet Subscription. You'll have access to every client and server product Microsoft makes going back to XP/2003, with keys that don't expire for your personal/lab use.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy/hh442910
    How much does a technet subscribtion cost? My home PC is 32 bit so I was concerned about being able to run Server 2008 R2 on it even if its setup as a virtual machine. Is there any way I would be able to setup a lab on my home 32bit system to run server 2008 with a few clients?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Oracle's Virtual Box on my x86 machine and was able to use 2 DC's running Server 2008 R2. That, with a client running Windows 7 will get you through most of the exercises.
    Is Oracle's virtual box free and if not how much does it cost Psoasman?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Psoasman, I saw on another thread that you had shared some labs for the 70-640. Would you mind sending those my way?
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing DB. Also, if you have the money to spend, the basic technet subscription will really help you.
    I have the standard $199 subscription. If I can spend $70 every two weeks in a
    club, I might as well spend $199 to improve my career.
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It's truly appreciated.

I downloaded and installed Oracle VirtualBox last night. This weekend I will building some Server 2008 R2 instances into it. I will also be looking at the exam objectives on the MS websitbe and buying the study materials this weekend, most likely the MS Press book and the R2 unleashed unless you guys have any last minute suggestions that might be better. I have never used virtual box before and have heard that MS Virtual PC is another free virtual tool that can be used when studying for the exams. Does anyone have any opinions of the pros and cons of these compared against one another? Am I correct in assuming that you can build into them domain controllers and domain clients (basically use the virtual software to create a simulated domain?)

I have decided to take the 60-742 first. I have heard that is is somewhat easier than the 70-640, especially for someone with a networking background such as myself. I'll prob spend all of May studying for 70-642 and then take the exam first week in June. My hope is that if it is actually a little easier I will pass it on the first try, giving my confidence a nice shot in the arm as I start prepping for the 70-640.
    Oh I forgot to ask if anyone knows how I might be able to obtain free voucher for the exam.

Thanks