Anyone read hacker quarterly 2600?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone read hacker quarterly 2600? I picked up an issue at Microcenter and it's very interesting. A lot of the articles walk a fine line of being ethical and unethical. However, It is a very fun read.

2600 NEWS: SPRING ISSUE OF 2600 RELEASED

So far my favorite article was the help desk guy that tested his employer’s website security with a cross site scripting tool. Supposedly, someone told him that the site wasn't secure. He some exposed vulnerabilities, but he almost lost his job in the process. Towards the end of the article he mentions how the senior techs said instead of testing for vulnerabilities, he should of just submitted a ticket. Also, after the senior techs found out about the vulnerabilities the site was still unsecure.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've read it off and on for years. I think a lot of it is interesting but then some of it is just silly. They've bee around for a loooong time, though. There is even a compendium of the "Best Of" - The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey: Emmanuel Goldstein: 9780470294192: Amazon.com: Books
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get it delivered to my Kindle and read a few articals every now and then. I use to read a lot when I was getting the train but just not so easy cycling ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i'm an avid reader but i definitely agree each issue features some fantastic articles and some i just roll my eyes at.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    i'm an avid reader but i definitely agree each issue features some fantastic articles and some i just roll my eyes at.

Totally agree, but I still read every issue.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i still have a free kevin sticker
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Haven't read it in a while.... but something I did in the late 90's is still in their Hacked Web Pages archive. icon_redface.gif
  • LetterLetter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got it on my Kindle. It's not as interesting to me as it used to be.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    lol i just looked in my backpack and i still had my redbox for payphones in there ... and it still works

i think i need to clean out my backpack
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    lol i just looked in my backpack and i still had my redbox for payphones in there ... and it still works

i think i need to clean out my backpack

LoL. I have a closet full of that stuff. Gotta love our teenage years.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    Haven't read it in a while.... but something I did in the late 90's is still in their Hacked Web Pages archive. icon_redface.gif

You mean allegedly may or may have not possibly done...
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's been a while. I'll still take a look at a copy when I see it in the stores. I used to read it pretty often, though. I like reading the older issues and thinking "I remember doing that!" or "Glad I didn't get caught!". The good ol' days when you weren't considered a domestic terrorist...
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Anybody ever watch "Freedom Downtime" regarding Mitnick?

I have friends who are pretty paranoid and insist on buying issues with only cash, so there names can't be linked to such a free thinking periodical.
    Anyone still do this?

For those who get it on their kindle --- expensive? cheaper than print?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anybody ever watch "Freedom Downtime" regarding Mitnick?

I have friends who are pretty paranoid and insist on buying issues with only cash, so there names can't be linked to such a free thinking periodical.
    Anyone still do this?
    It's funny cause when I was in the States I paid for everything in cash, just like I would back home. I do have a single credit card but I really treat it like a debit card. I was in a store in the US and a lady in front of me opened her purse (it was huge!!) and I swear there was at least 30 cards in there - probably loyalty cards, CCs, debits you name it.

But it's no surprise where credit cards are not widely in use that's where people have the highest savings rates - Chinese people save 20% of their income - that's how they are funding debt in other developed nations. I actually had a friend who asked me - did you notice something in the US? I said no. They look at you funny when you use cash. Can't say I noticed much of that, but cash is more convenient for me. I hate looking up the credit card afterwards. I don't use credit where possible.

I'll check that film out though, thanks.
  • shred805shred805 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    freedom downtime was awesome, I love hackers 2 tho, the story of kevin , good ol 90's nostalgia
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    . I was in a store in the US and a lady in front of me opened her purse (it was huge!!) and I swear there was at least 30 cards in there - probably loyalty cards, CCs, debits you name it.

Did Not realise the wife had been to america. Will be having a firm word when I get home!!! icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
    shred805 wrote: »
    freedom downtime was awesome, I love hackers 2 tho, the story of kevin , good ol 90's nostalgia

Pssst there's no such film as Hackers 2, the film you are thinking of is called "takedown"

Now the film Hackers... with Jonny lee miller and Angelina Jolie, I might have enjoyed at 15 but god how cheesy!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Now the film Hackers... with Jonny lee miller and Angelina Jolie, I might have enjoyed at 15 but god how cheesy!

Aw come on man, Hackers is a *great* drinking movie!
    Aw come on man, Hackers is a *great* drinking movie!

Look I ain't never admitting on an open forum its a "great" movie. and not going to get the DVD out and watch it again for old times sake, and not at all to see a young Angelina.