Options

Do you really need to pay for books, cd roms, and practice..

headcaseheadcase Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
exams to pass the network+ exam? For example, I am A+ certified, therefore, I already have a basic understanding of networking. Furthermore, with all of the free information on the Internet, do you really need to speed cash dollars to pass the net+ exam?

I am currently studying for the net+ and bought a book for about 60 dollars, but that got me thinking. What is the point in buying the book when I could find everything and more on the Internet for free? Everything you ever wanted to know is on the Internet you just have to know how to locate it.

I saw the technotes on this site and they are perfect. I think I could pass this net+ just studying those. Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I just under estimating the net+ exam?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    headcase wrote:
    exams to pass the network+ exam? For example, I am A+ certified, therefore, I already have a basic understanding of networking. Furthermore, with all of the free information on the Internet, do you really need to speed cash dollars to pass the net+ exam?
    Depends on what certs you planned for the future. You can use it together with A+ as an elective for MCSA. And it will give the basis for CCNA and CCDA.
    I am currently studying for the net+ and bought a book for about 60 dollars, but that got me thinking. What is the point in buying the book when I could find everything and more on the Internet for free? Everything you ever wanted to know is on the Internet you just have to know how to locate it.
    True, but now you got it all in one place, and their are a lot of contradictions. Also in some cases you need to know it the CompTIA, Cisco or MS way, which can be slightly different from the reality and the facts you'll find in online resources. Nevertheless, I do think you can pass every cert exam by just using resources on the web (2 main being www.cisco.com and www.microsoft.com), it generally takes some more time.
    I saw the technotes on this site and they are perfect. I think I could pass this net+ just studying those. Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I just under estimating the net+ exam?
    Some with network experience might be able to pass using only our TechNotes, but I certainly don't recommend using them without anything else, because our Net+ TechNotes currently cover about 60% of the exam objectives. The best thing to do is combine them with a study guide.

The Network+ exam is still entry-level basic stuff, but should not be underestimated... you do have to know the basics well..

Johan
  • Options
    headcaseheadcase Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    webmaster,

thank you, awesome site, I can't stress that enough. I have been looking for a forum to discuss topics such as this. Just got done reading over your technotes for the OSI model. Still a little confusing but I think I am getting it down. After the A+ and Net+ what do you think would be a good follow up cert?