Ive just made one of the biggest decisions of my life...

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently im 26 years old and ive been wanting to do this since i have been 19/20ish but i have decided to quit work and the UK and move to australia for a year on a working holiday visa. Hopefully im going to pick up some contract work as a network engineer and travel about in between too. I feel its a great time to do this and im going to make the most of the opportunity.

The biggest reason for doing this is due to the amount i work in all honesty and i dont want to waste my younger years stuck completely in a work/9-5 rut. Since i was 16 ive always worked full time hours, studied hard out of work, completed 2 degrees and multiple certs. After completing my CCNP i was SO close to taking up the challenge of the CCIE. However, after reading through what people go through i decided i would rather follow my dreams and emigrate for a short while rather than whole myself up and study constantly for 2 years for my CCIE. I know this usually goes against the grain of the forums - and trust me im not knocking anyone whatsoever for doing the CCIE. I just dont think its my top priority or the most beneficial thing for my life at the moment. Im still looking to advance my career in networking and hopefully this move will allow me to do so.

I leave the UK on the 4th June :). I would like to thank everyone in the forums for all the support/help/encouragement over the years! its been awesome. You havent got rid of me just yet, i'll still be on the site!

if anyone has any contacts in australia who are looking for network engineers, please pm me! im willing to work/relocate to the big cities in Oz. Also, any suggestions for linkedin groups/ recruitment companies would be much appreciated too!

Thanks

Andrew
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Which city do you plan living in mate? I may be able to hook something up for you in Perth like I said before. Send me your resume and I'll see what I can do, sooner the better!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Which city do you plan living in mate? I may be able to hook something up for you in Perth like I said before. Send me your resume and I'll see what I can do, sooner the better!

Hey man, pm'd :)

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats awesome!! Good luck to you, and enjoy the adventure!!!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thats awesome. I have been feeling the same way lately, I'm getting the feeling if I don't do all of the things I've wanted to do now I never will. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes. Brave man heading over without a job already lined up thats for sure!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats awesome. I have been feeling the same way lately, I'm getting the feeling if I don't do all of the things I've wanted to do now I never will. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes. Brave man heading over without a job already lined up thats for sure!

Cheers man, and to the rest of you. I know how you feel, my 20's are only something that are going to be there once. If i missed this chance just because of work - and thats the only reason keeping me in my city - then i would definitely look back on it as a mistake - probably one of the biggest in my life! my gut told me this was the right move, and its always led me in the right direction! If you feel the same i would say go for it. You can always come back to certs/career after. Im hoping to keep some IT in on my travels as my visa permits it but its not the priority, i'll be more than happy to work on a farm or bar!

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck in your endeavor.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    that sounds really cool man. you should constantly update this post and let us all know how its going!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely keep us posted mate! I moved out of the UK 8 years ago today (woohoo, 8 year anniversary).
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    good luck, i may join ya if i can convince my wife to go for it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually "learned" this in my organizational behvior course (rather, it was discussed and I pretty much agreed with the professor.) The best time to just pack up and go would be in your twenties.

Nel, I tip my hat is off to you, sir, and wish you GodSpeed on your new adventure. Certainly sounds exciting. Once you get into your thirties, unless you come into millions of pounds and don't have to work for a living, you're pretty much stuck until retirement...and even then....lmao....it's just not as cool as to be a man in his prime, such as yourself.

Godspeed my friend. :)
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good call!

You gotta take this chance while you can. Being away from home is such a great chance to grow personally as well as professionally.

I wish you all the best icon_smile.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    follow your dreams. goodl luck and lets know how you get on
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Pls keep the post updated. i have a chance to move too. My university gives me 18 months of working and residency visa for Australia after the graduation. Why not ? I was an Aerospace Observation Controller @ another country once and decided to resign from my job after doing it 5 years. Now trying to get my degree again....

I believe that your decision will be finalized by the happiness. I prefer to take the action instead of complaining about the current situation...That is how i came to Poland.

keep us informed and good luck ^^
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Smart man.....I wish I was your age again! You only get 1 life...take this opportunity. Life is more than about work.

I still have admirations of living abroad.....specifically in the south of France.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Way to go man!! Grab life by the balls while you're young enough to do so. I've been to Perth and Sydney and both were absolutely amazing. I'd like to return someday but it's not exactly cheap. I wish you the best and nothing but success going forward!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Smart man.....I wish I was your age again! You only get 1 life...take this opportunity. Life is more than about work.

I still have admirations of living abroad.....specifically in the south of France.
    Just remember: It's never too late, and you're never too old.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go hard mate, reckon ya'll like it here, welcome to Australia, I'd help you out with contacts but I aint working at the momment and been outta touch with peeps/jobs etc. If ya end up in Queensland, drop me a line, I'll welcome ya with a beer or two :)
    The Wings of Technology
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck and enjoy the ride, you only live once.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]