Strange resume

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I came across a different/strange resume. Guy opens with a professional summary then follows with a laundry list of skills and specialties. Next section is professional accomplishments. He divides this section in areas such as server, training, PC support, project management, etc. and then just has bullets with one liners describing technologies/projects he worked on. The weirdest thing is the next section is work history where he just lists he last 6 positions for the last 10 years. I have no idea what he did at which company.

In addition to the above. It's a bullet fest. I counted and there are 72 bullets. Did I mention the resume is 4 pages long with tons of wasted space?

Is it me of is the whole format plain weird?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah I'd say its quite weird. I've seen some crazy stuff on resumes, but they all usually follow a standard format that is usually suggested here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Forget weird; it just sounds bad. I would have probably tossed it by the the time I saw what he did with work experience, to be honest.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • LetterLetter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You found my resume!
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know you won't, but you should redact it and post it up.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    buzzkill wrote: »
    I know you won't, but you should redact it and post it up.

Not a good idea. I know a guy that almost got fired for just redacting and emailing a resume around internal to the company. HR had a fit!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds bizarre to say the least and like PT mentioned just plain bad.
  • bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could be a functional resume. Those emphasize skillsets and abilities over work history. In order to emphasize transferable skills, they are especially popular with career changers; however they run the risk of coming across as weird and unconventional when expecting a more linear and cohesive work history. I know--I would probably be submitting one of those (though definitely not four pages, that's too long!).
    2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I came across a different/strange resume. Guy opens with a professional summary then follows with a laundry list of skills and specialties. Next section is professional accomplishments. He divides this section in areas such as server, training, PC support, project management, etc. and then just has bullets with one liners describing technologies/projects he worked on. The weirdest thing is the next section is work history where he just lists he last 6 positions for the last 10 years. I have no idea what he did at which company.

In addition to the above. It's a bullet fest. I counted and there are 72 bullets. Did I mention the resume is 4 pages long with tons of wasted space?

Is it me of is the whole format plain weird?

Desperate times call for desperate actions. I think this guy or gal has been unemployed for a while and thought that by having a longer resume may make him or her stand out when compared to other job seekers.

If your resume is to long you won’t have anything to discuss during the interview. Remember (snapshot)
    I remember talking-to one recruiter about resumes and he told me he gets annoyed when a person has 3 different resumes for 3 different subsections of IT. For example, he saw some guy’s resume were he claimed to be a programmer, then the next resume he was a sys admin, and another he was web developer. The recruiter told me , he didn’t know what the guy actually did, and that he had to many resumes.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • schmalz2schmalz2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't remember what the name is for the style of that type of resume. I graduated with a finance degree and the business school really pushed for students to participate in extra classes for resume writing and interviewing skills. That resume layout was in a sample of resumes styles. A person running the meeting said it's a very popular type of resume. I found out it isn't. It would make sense to have a resume like that if you've had one job for many, many years and no other related experience.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a resume that was similar but it was all same skill type jobs and only 2 pages long. This was 6 years ago and got me some interesting interviews.
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Sounds like a botched functional resume. I use one, landed me a job with no problem. Logic behind it (if done correctly) is it gets the skills up front and if they want more detail about how/where you did those that comes in an interview (which are normal interview questions anyway). 4 pages... dumb.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    then follows with a laundry list of skills and specialties. Next section is professional accomplishments.. the weirdest thing is the next section is work history where he just lists he last 6 positions for the last 10 years. I have no idea what he did at which company.
    When a person doesn't list any relevant work experience with a technology, it's usually because they don't have any. I get enough resumes when I'm hiring I would just toss this one. It's up to you whether your queue of applicants is small enough or there's something impressive on that resume that warrants spending a disproportionate amount of time contacting them to ask for more details that they should have included in the first place if they were flattering.