Options

took the plunge

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
its been 2 weeks in the making process. just disconnect the cable tv and kept the internet. switching over to internet tv and over the air programming.
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    nice, our local cable co wont let you just do internet
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Did this a couple months back. We had residential service with comcast and I ditched it in favor of Comcast business and 5 static IP's. With how much business class costs tv service was out of the question. Either way I still get like 30 channels that come through so I guess its not completely gone I am just not paying for it.
  • Options
    i was thinking on going business class myself want to see how this works with economy internet service. i also own my own modem
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got an OTA antenna installed last year and cut cable. OTA works great. Then I tried a regular indoor one for the TV upstairs and I get all the channels anyways.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Been thinking about doing the same thing for a little while but not sure my kids are ready for it yet. What are ya'll using to get your shows?
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, what is the company if you don't mind me asking?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Did this a couple months back. We had residential service with comcast and I ditched it in favor of Comcast business and 5 static IP's. With how much business class costs tv service was out of the question. Either way I still get like 30 channels that come through so I guess its not completely gone I am just not paying for it.

I did this back in August, minus the static IPs (I've never had my IP change with DHCP)... $65/month. I am considering upgrading to a higher speed package because my employer now gives me $50/month for internet service, so I'm only paying $15/month out of my own pocket now. Still running 2 cables modems, the one they forced me to lease, plus the one I already owned. I have "ISP Redundancy" running on a Forefront TMG 2010 firewall for Multi-WAN load balancing... basically doubles my download speeds. :D

I still get all the networks in HD, plus PBS, MTV, LMN, and a few others. I stream Netflix to my TVs. Between that and the handful of channels I still get, saved a bunch of money.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ditched cable and set up an old CB dipole antenna in the attic for OTA a few years ago. No regrets. Now if I could only **** Time Warner for my ISP.
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105

Wow what a joke.

We cut cable TV and bumped up our internet speed. Between Amazon Prime Streaming on PS3 and Netflix Instant we have enough to watch to keep us occupied.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    its the only cable co in the town ran by the college

the internet speed is great but there pricing sucks you have to get tv then you add on to it you cant just get internet or internet/phone
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    As soon as my benefits kick in, I'll be able to get internet voice, premium cable, and business class internet services for 40 bucks a month. Working for the provider has it's perks.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I was inspired by the thread and finally took the plunge too. The wife and I had been talking about cutting out cable tv for a few months now, but there was still Mad Men and a few others the family liked, so we waited. Today, I found the few shows we do like on the streaming services (iTunes, Netflix, etc) and figured why wait. Paying $30 to watch 1-2 seasons and another $180 annually for Netflix beats the heck out of $1200 annually for shows i don't even watch. Thanks for starting the thread.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I disconnected my cable a few months ago, I am hardly home to watch it anyway and it saved me about $85 a month. I purchased a Roku (Roku Streaming Player | Watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle and More on Roku Player) so I can stream Hulu and Netfilx still on my TV for when I still watch something.

Also less of a distraction for me now and I find myself studying more for my CCNA.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    J_86 wrote: »
    Roku post above

We did the exact same thing last year. We now pay Comcast $70 less than we were, and we all watch less tv, even the kids. It used to be you could turn on the tv and surf till you found something good enough to stick with. Now you actually have to look for something to watch, and we're all fairly lazy so we watch less. The only thing we miss is HGTV and my girls ghost shows, some of which are available on Netflix.

You can also stream videos (like cbt's), music, and pictures from your computer to the tv through the roku, which is pretty cool. Watching other internet video (like youtube) is tricky, but its doable.

In case it's relevant to anyone else: I can still buy UFC fights and stream them, which is effin awesome!!!
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    We haven't had cable in 6 years. Netflix and iTunes have filled in the gaps, and my OTA antenna gets the locals for stuff like football in the fall and the few shows we watch on the locals. The only problem is I see a home data server in my future to store some of the stuff we have to make watching it anywhere easier.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    my kids love netflicks and hulu plus, there are plenty more kids streaming stations you can add for free. I build a small media server ( mini-itx box) with 1Tb drive. loaded my music and started copying my movies over to it. there are also services you can run via the media server to get even more programming icon_lol.gif but i won't get to watch much still in lab prep mode but it does save me 100 a month
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    keenon wrote: »
    i was thinking on going business class myself want to see how this works with economy internet service. i also own my own modem

I went business class because residential in my area has an obscenly low cap. It's 50MB down but the data cap is only 50GB/month and 50 cents/GB overage fee. By going business I was able to get 50MB down with a 300GB cap. It's a little pricey ($100/month) but still cheaper than cable and internet combined.