Options

(local) Network printer over VPN access

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
Hello,

Is there any workaround for an office that has their own network printer setup to access it while connected to VPN? Since VPN connectivity gives them a different IP, the network printer they normally use is no longer accessible and I'm trying to find a solution. It's not using a print server, and is just a typically IP printer.

The office only needed VPN periodically before, but due to the Army's move to Enterprise E-mail, access to the client now requires remote sites to VPN to the parent installation for .MIL nodes connecting to DISA's server (whereas before we could use a proxy off VPN).

Thanks!
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    whats the client os
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    The client is Vista Enterprise (Army Golden Master).
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    have you tired pinging the ip after the vpn is setup

you could always install a small atom based pc print server ... thats what i have done in the past instead of spending days tiring to get it sorted
  • Options
    I haven't done really anything yet. Just fact finding since I know I can't access the printer now while on VPN, since it's not on the same network as the VPN network.

Would a print server resolve the issue while being connected to the VPN network, even though the printer is on a different network?

• Options
    it did for me but i had 2 nics one was vpn connected and the other was local

installed 2 printers and labeled them local and vpn that way i always knew what one to print too ... i know on windows 7 you can do location aware printing not sure on vista