Options

Honesty is the Best Policy!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've always been honest to a fault, as it has cost me a number of times (and is often the thing people like least about me). Be that as it may, if I see something is not right I will let people know. So I checked my direct deposit this morning (I get paid once a month) and I noticed an extra 300 dollars in my check. Now I did work an hour of overtime, but that doesn't add up to $300 that's for sure. When I came in they handed out our pay stubs and everything seemed ok. I go to lunch and something was still hitting me as not correct about my check. Luckily, I'm a pack rat, and I had my stub from last month. I look and there was an extra 16 hours on my check! Now, could I use the money? Sure, but I didn't feel right about it and I also felt that this was something that would get discovered in time and it would be much easier to explain it now then later. So I go to accounting and they said they'll look into it. Come to find out, this working period was for 23 days and last month was for 21 days! Accounting thanked me for the honesty and I get to keep the money!

I Won The Money! - YouTube

That was my reaction! Seems there are some advantages to being hourly!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    the truth pays

you did the right thing, happened to me the other day on my tigerdirect order i for an extra processor (2500k) i couldve used it but i sent it back, it always comes back to you
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad you did the right thing. Life eventually catches up to everyone. I believe in karma so I would've done the same.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would make sure you try to get that in writing. Otherwise, they can ask for it back and you would have to cough it up. Otherwise they can just take it out of your next check.

Verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on. :)

You did the right thing though, but people need to do that...not because it's the right thing (even though that's important) but because the employee is the one liable for an employers mistake. One time, I had gotten an additional check paid out to me by mistake. I contacted the accounting office (once payroll pays, it's in their hands). They said that it was me and a few other employees that were affected by this mistake. Within two days, that money had vanished (the deposit was reversed.) Legally, had I withdrew the money and partied like a rock star, I would have been obligated to pay it back...and if I didn't, it would come out of my next check.

Bottom line though, try to get this in writing, and do not settle for a "don't worry about it..."
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I would make sure you try to get that in writing. Otherwise, they can ask for it back and you would have to cough it up. Otherwise they can just take it out of your next check.

Verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on. :)
    ...snip...

Bottom line though, try to get this in writing, and do not settle for a "don't worry about it..."

Good point, I will discuss it with them!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ERP speaks the truth. One AP clerk saying it's okay is not okay. Get it in writing, I find it hard to believe that the bean counters would let that slide, once the error was found.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    This. Write it in ink on your forehead if you must, but DO NOT FORGET TO DO IT. Otherwise, you can get in serious trouble if you don't get it in writing that you can keep the money and it can be used against you.