Options

Just received a nice offer

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently making $35/hr but due to a hiring freeze last year, I am still a contractor. My boss recently left the company to work somewhere else and just offered me a six figure salary to join him. The only issue is I would have to move back to NY. I just moved away from there a couple of months ago, lol. Also, the work is less technical and more project management.

I informed my current company that I had a very generous offer presented to me and they are scrambling to get approval for a counter offer. It's starting to get awkward though. I was being vague about where the offer came from so it would not jeopardize the relationship my former boss has with my company but the head of my division wants a copy of the offer letter. The two of them have worked side by side for years so I am sure they still maintain a close relationship.

The offer was over the phone so I have requested him to send me a written offer to review. Hopefully my current company is able to provide a decent counter offer so I can stick with them. The full time perks are really good (6% 401K, 4 weeks vacation, etc.) and I wouldn't have to relocate (until next year...).

Fingers crossed.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    What kind of work do you do now at your current job?
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started as QA but now I am a Resident Engineer. I do a mix of product testing, server admin, network admin, consultant, trainer, etc. I was trying to distance myself further from QA and more in line with a security path. However, security testing is one of the things handled by this other company.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I probably wouldn't have told them that I had another offer, puts everyone in a bad spot.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its kinda a toss up now that your current company knows that you are alteast entertaining the idea of leaving. They could see this as a reason to let you go when things get even worse. I would go to the new job but that is just me.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't have told them that I had another offer, puts everyone in a bad spot.

&
    Its kinda a toss up now that your current company knows that you are alteast entertaining the idea of leaving. They could see this as a reason to let you go when things get even worse. I would go to the new job but that is just me.

Glad others have said this... :) +1 and rep to both.

The "awkward" feelings are pretty much why the counter offer game should never be played. The OP's first post is a textbook example of why the counter offer game is bad.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with the others – What would stop your existing company from meeting your demands as a stop gap, and then letting you go on their terms knowing that you very well may still be looking?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's really an experience thing. At my last job I received a scathing email from the head of sales when I put in four weeks notice. They had asked for feed back (prior to my notice) and I submitted it to my direct manager. They walked into his office, saw my notice on top of the email I had sent with feedback, and about an hour later I received an email ripping me. The best part, at the end of the email was the "what do we need to do to match the offer." Obviously, I did not entertain it, just said thank you for the opportunity, but I respectfully decline. You'd be amazed at what comes out when you're about to leave, truly shows everyone's perspective on things. Good luck, but definitely take the new job offer because at this point you might have dug yourself in a hole.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    At least at the new company, there is someone there that knows you well. But yeah, I agree with others. You put yourself in a very bad spot...especially considering the co-workers on both sides. Taking a counter is a big gamble like it's been said a thousand times on here.

How easy is it to get a rid of a contractor like you?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with everyone else, NEVER EVER entertain a counter offer. In two of my past jobs, I've seen people accepting counter offers be the first to get booted out. You are a contractor and will the FIRST, the FIRST to get kicked out when times arent rosy. Not being vitriolic or anything, just warning ya just like everyone else.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go to the guy who offered you the new job and see if he will raise it.. that's what I would do. He wants you to work with him, he might bump up the salary and make it worth it - do not tell him anything about your current job.

It wasn't smart to tell your current employer about an offer, but if you share the offer redact anything to do with the other firm. You need to be on your guard for any moves by your current employer. You might not really have much of a choice now.

You've learned a valuable lesson - and thanks for sharing that on here too - the most valuable lessons have to be learned the hard way sometimes.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Asking for a counter offer is basically giving your current boss an ultimatum. The people in charge usually don't like ultimatum's, especially if it's in the form of "Gimme more money or I'm out". I hope one of the jobs works out for you, but you need to work on your negotiating skills.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Go to the guy who offered you the new job and see if he will raise it.. that's what I would do. He wants you to work with him, he might bump up the salary and make it worth it - do not tell him anything about your current job.
    I probably wouldn't do this, as the OP mentioned:

"The two of them have worked side by side for years so I am sure they still maintain a close relationship."
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think there is any harm in trying to bump the salary... If he redacts the offer then his current employer won't know who it is, and I highly doubt the former boss is going to tell his former employer he is trying to poach their skilled talent until after the event.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What a sticky situation.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It really looks like you put yourself in a bad situation. There was a good thread a while back on why to never accept a counter offer from your current employer. Like others have said it usually ends bad and definitely doesn't win you any friends at your current position.

At this point I think you better get a written offer(assuming you even still can) and take it. There is no way I would even think about telling my current employer I'm going to leave without a written offer in hand.

You left yourself very open to the offer being redacted(or never formally issued in thise case) and losing your current position.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen this story before and it ended bad. I had some former co-workers have offers and asked for more money and got fired. Then, the other guy took the offer but, they gave him so much more work that the raise wasn't worth it so; he left down the line. Now, I've seen where you have the offer from the new job in your hands and they cancel the position so; you put your two weeks in and get shafted in the in end. It really depends on the money and opportunity because the employee can be on the outside looking in if things go wrong.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    short & simple...give ur current job the deuces....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the offer. I would definitely just move to the new job --- sticking around would be waaay too awkward --- they will wonder when you will jump ship next!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD