Options

Has anyone performed a clean Win 7 install while keeping the old version of Windows?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering how easy it was to bring the Windows.old folder over from the old OS to the freshly installed Win 7 OS. Supposedly Windows 7 moves the Program Files, User Profiles, and Documents and Settings in a Windows.old folder. This sounds like a pretty sweet feature.

This is a pretty cool idea if it actually works like I have read.

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but USMT will grab the old files and settings and put them into the fresh install.

If you are looking for info: Step-by-Step: Offline Migration with USMT 4.0
  • Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you formatting the drive and doing a clean install? If not and just "starting over" the windows.old folder will be there and you can simply browse it. Or you can do as said in the previous post.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    BTW: This is a very testable subject matter if you are studying for testing on the 70-680 exam!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    FYI

I am reading the Windows 7 book at work. I am only suppose to read material pertaining to my job, so MBA and other server level technologies are off the plate, but anything client is good. This includes Win 7 and Office suite along with any other client MS applications.

So no I am not formally reading the 680 book, but I am reading the inside out book.