Options

Is the Inside Out Win 7 book good supplemental information or a waste of time

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm reading for my job, but a couple guys at work asked me if this is something that could assist with 70-680. I honestly don't know.Thanks for any follow ups

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I think to some extent, but the exam is more targeted towards managing Win 7 from an Enterprise structure. There are some questions related to Windows 7 itself, which I think the book would help with, but everything else is "how would you do this on Windows 7... from the server"
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think you'll find it will 'assist' you in some of the preparation. It's a decent text. For specifc exam prep, I prefer the Sybex to the MS Press book, but since I have both...they each fill some gaps.

Bottom-line, I don't think the "Inside Out Win 7" is a 'waste' of time. Anything that helps one understand something from another perspective should help make them a better tech overall.

Would I use it as my only text? Nope. Though that is my answer for all the exams...use a couple different authors.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    You do think this book would align with 685 or 686 more so than 680?

We have some book laying around that we are "encourgaged" to read and this is one of the books. There is an inside and out Outlook book as well, but I am focusing on Win 7 at this time. I hate starting something and not finishing, which could be a problem since this beast is 950 pages lol

My co workers are reading this as well when we have downtime.

Thanks again for the follow up
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think it would overlap all three of those exams to some extent. Keep in mind, my perspective of 'certifications' runs along the lines of proficiency in the field and not merely a certificate goal.

Definately 680. Though because Inside Out is considered a more 'advanced' book by some, you will have topics from by 685 and 686 covered by the book. Inside Out is written (IMO) for a typical user and I find it more informational rather than the typical exam prep text with a 'know this, not that' feel.

I'd definately use it as my 2nd book to study from, but not as an all-in-one source. For each exam, I'd definately use the MS Press or Sybex (or both) for exam objective specifics. Check the books out at a bookstore or go with your favorite author. Many times I prefer Sybex, but occassionally, the MS Press book does a better job.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I don't think the exam would benefit me to be honest. Right now my role is more of a user support and not so much technicial support. I have a vast background in client support so I take real world experience with me so I use that from time to time.

Bottom line is I am reading free material and the material they want us to read while I am on the clock. Might as well gain knowledge if I get a little downtime.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're just reading it to read something relevant, I think it sounds like it makes more sense to read than MS Press. If you're studying for the certification, I don't see much value in anything but MS Press and Technet, in this case. MS Press covers 99% of the exam material in sufficient depth, and Technet is there if you find the depth insufficient. If you don't plan on actually getting the certification, I think the book you're reading is definitely a good use of your time, and probably a better use than MS Press.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I think knowing the OS from a functional standpoint helps me with my job. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind deploying Windows and patching servers and desktops. That would be a cool gig, but right now that type of knowledge doesn't make a lot of sense.

From a technology view while at work Outlook 2010 and Windows 7 (Both inside and out) are my focus for reading material.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think knowing the OS from a functional standpoint helps me with my job. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind deploying Windows and patching servers and desktops. That would be a cool gig, but right now that type of knowledge doesn't make a lot of sense.

From a technology view while at work Outlook 2010 and Windows 7 (Both inside and out) are my focus for reading material.

It's definitely good to understand the client software before understanding the server side of it. Like learning Outlook before you learn Exchange. So, good plan.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »

Yeah, you're definitely on the right track with this book. MS Press is still somewhat useful, but at least 50% of the material will not be valuable to you in your current role.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Very cool.

Glad to get reassurance on the course material. I can honestly see these two books taking me to the end of the year. Keep in mind I am only reading them at work. At home I have a whole different set of goals.