BGP / ISIS Primer

jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
There is a job I am going for that requires BGP knowledge which I am pretty green on. Can anyone recommend some brief reading material to give me some BGP and ISIS info? I'm not looking to become an overnight expert, I just want to be able to have an intelligent conversation about these two protocols.

Thanks!

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    jude56g wrote: »
    There is a job I am going for that requires BGP knowledge which I am pretty green on. Can anyone recommend some brief reading material to give me some BGP and ISIS info? I'm not looking to become an overnight expert, I just want to be able to have an intelligent conversation about these two protocols.

Thanks!

BGP is a pretty deep protocol... I read Iljitsch van Beijnum's BGP book from O'reilly to get a good synopsis of the whats, hows, and whys of BGP. I took the INE BGP CCIP on-demand course for lecture and used GNS3vault for labbing. I configure and troubleshoot BGP daily at work as well... there's a ton of stuff to learn about it. IS-IS is what we run in the core of our network. I haven't even touched it yet. Read the book, do some labs, you'll get the jist. For a full scale deep dive, read Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)