Options

6 Pin Power Plug for 9800GTX

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have a power supply which has 2 x 6(1 of which can be 6 or icon_cool.gif pin plugs, one of them will not fit into my graphics card because the black plastic clip will not fit into the gap that is in the housing of the graphics card

Tried to take a pic but my phone will not focus on anything close so were all blury, howerver this link shows both

6PIN+6PIN,,,Power Core type--k-nitech Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd.

I have plugged in a standard 2 molex to 6 pin thingy but would prefer to use the 2 that are on my PSU as they have a orange mesh sleeve

Any help would be awesome

Lee

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi

I have a power supply which has 2 x 6(1 of which can be 6 or icon_cool.gif pin plugs, one of them will not fit into my graphics card because the black plastic clip will not fit into the gap that is in the housing of the graphics card

Tried to take a pic but my phone will not focus on anything close so were all blury, howerver this link shows both

6PIN+6PIN,,,Power Core type--k-nitech Electronics Technology Co.,Ltd.

I have plugged in a standard 2 molex to 6 pin thingy but would prefer to use the 2 that are on my PSU as they have a orange mesh sleeve

Any help would be awesome

Lee

Looks like its time to break out the xacto knife or Dremel. Shave off just enough of the clip so it fits. Another option would be to snip off that 6-pin connector and replace with the one that works. You can find all the supplies at various places but usually go to FrozenCPU.com.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    power.jpg
    What's your power supply? If it had 1x6 and a 1x6+2 configuration, it should be more than happy to take the power connection. That's what Im doing with my 850 for work. I have a 1x6 and 1x6+2 into my 280 GTX.

My problem is that my old and new 850 can't power everything. bleh. Time to upgrade to a 1.5 KW ;)

I don't understand what you need for help? I wouldn't try to jam a connector in where it's not supposed to go though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    They are both the same plug so why does one have a larger clip that the other, its almost as if its not supposed to be put in there but has same orientation of wires and each of the 6 pins are same size

Bizzare
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah gotcha.

Eh. You can try it. If it works, hoorah!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    If you follow the link in my first post you can see the clips are different sizes, one of them is wider than the other, so unfortunately in order to plug the wider one in I will have to cut away some of the housing on my graphics card

Has anyone ever done this?
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I have done quite a few mods, and I would recommend cutting away some of the clip on the 6-pin plug before cutting away on your graphics card. Thats a great way to void your warranty.