Options

640 vs 642

barringtonjrbarringtonjr Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed my 680 and 685 exams, I am going towards the SA. Not sure which exam to go after first, the AD DS 640 or Net Inf 642. I was aiming for 640 first & I've been hearing the 640 is very difficult from posts here on forum. I was wondering if the 642 is if not easier but a better stepping stone before taking the 640. I have an ok understanding of AD, I have setup it up at my home lab (3-PC's) and work, but only 4 machines there. I only got about 2 months experience with it. I passed the 685 yesterday so I'm taking a few days off before getting back to studying.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll probably do equally well on either. Neither is really much of a stepping stone for the other.

We have this thread every month or so. I'll save you the time from reading the responses with this piece of advice: flip a coin and get started. It's not a decision worth mulling over.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can see the Exam overview for both these test and decide . i had the same question as well , before i started working on my 642 . Having some CCNA background i see 642 as a easier option. where as AD Stuff is a tough one for me .

I am glad i started off with the 642 first .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read the material for the 642 before I started WGU and never took the test. The one thing I struggled with was certificate services at that time. I just didn't get it. I do now after labbing AD CS a bunch to take the 640. I think understanding DNSSEC would be much easier if you understand certificate services.
  • Options
    barringtonjrbarringtonjr Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, Im going to read the overview on both and see which one I seem more comfortable with. I always was geared toward the AD first but a couple of threads I read about it being very difficult scared the crap out of me.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Had this same delima yesterday, after some review, I decided, based on my experience with networking, etc, that the 642 would be somewhat more familiar to begin with. Also since it covers a little of the 640, that will be my next cert after the 642, it seems only logical to take certs that are closer to your level of experience, and even more so if they will overlap the next one.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, I'm going for the 640 first. I figure if I have to get it anyways, may as well get it out of the way and it really doesn't matter to me which I do first.