Options

Which course is best?

suptm01suptm01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Briefly I am out of work at the moment and would be entitled to some funding via Job Seekers upto £300. I have been in IT for around 20 years but with no qualification just hands-on experience.

I would like to boost my chances of getting back into work by gaining or working towards MCSE or whatever.

My jobs have been around Desktop Support, troubleshooting etc but with minimum server experience so I am perhaps thinking of Windows Server 2003 Administration MCSA/MCSE 70-290 !?!?

I am just unsure on my best options.

Any advice would be much appreciated (btw I am from England).

Kind Regards

Anthony Mancini

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Forget about the server 2003 MCSE, focus more on the newer 2008 technologies as more companies are moving in that direction and away from the 2003. Look at the MCITP SA path which will pick you up the MCSA Server 2008 certification as well. 3 tests will get you that certification. The new MCSE builds on that and adds in a couple of newer cloud based test to pick up that certification.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be looking at the MCITP (basically a new name for MCSE) in Server 2008 (R2). Also keep an eye on Windows (and Server) 8 and how things'll be different in working with it.
    You'll need a nice PC to set up and work with virtualisation (unless you have lots of kit lying around).
    You should get a good idea of what's involved and how to proceed if you take your time through the other postings here.
    Maybe you could also do a little volunteering and get some skills up that way?
  • Options
    suptm01suptm01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Tony