Options

Need Help planning for future

Just a bit of background.

Been in IT Industry since 1998 in the military, first focusing on Helpdesk operations, then networking and finally managing a Help Desk as well as being heavily involved in IA. I have A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, CISSP and am currently working on CISA (Dec test) and CCNA: Security (taking it this month). I also am currently in process of getting a TS clearance. I also am 3 classes away from a BS in Cybersecurity. I have also dabbled in some pen testing on the side, but nothing major.

I have 3 years left and therein lies the dillema, I have no idea what I want to do when I get out. What I would like to do is focus on a general area and really "own" that area. My next 3 years I will be teaching security for the Army, so I will have time to really self study and improve myself.. I just don't know what I should focus on, I guess I am not looking at a super high paying job, just something I can focus on, where the jobs will be at in 3 years.

I see my choices as

1) Focus on Cisco and work on CCNP and CCNP Security.
2) Stay on the general security track and after CISA, work on other general security certs and a Masters in Cyber Security.
3) Work on Pen testing/Ethical hacking etc
4) Some other option I haven't thought of yet...

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139

Hey Dude. I would look at what you enjoy doing and go that way. If you want some proper Ninja advice check out The Ethical Hacker Network some of the guys on there are on here also but therre on there more.

Oh and good look and keep up the good work! icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Well, it looks like you lack some Linux skill (correct me if I'm wrong) and hacking involves a lot of Unix/Linux skills, why not try go that way?