Options

Network Diagram Software

tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
What software do you use to draw your network diagrams? I've seen some diagrams that make everything look so nice and neat, but not sure what any are called.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I use Gliffy and of course Visio.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thumbs up for Visio. :)
  • Options
    Gliffy looks nice.. I'll try that and Visio when I get home. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    VISIO rocks since you can integrate it with excel and access database
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Visio is pretty much the standard. There are thick books dedicated to its finer points... but you can learn a lot just using it.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Visio

It's good at everything great at nothing.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep. I've tried a few and up until today was using Smartdraw for me, and Visio for customers who want it that way. I'm going to check out a few of these other ones here now.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    I'd like to know what the vendors use to get their slick looking network diagrams. Probably some creative type in the marketing dept. but vendors have really nice icons and their network diagrams always look slick.

Speaking of network diagrams if you get tired of rating other peoples girlfriends and boyfriends there is always this Rate My Network Diagram

Some pretty good diagrams here.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Visio all the way
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Visio is pretty much the industry standard. I also use OmniGraffle Pro on OS X, since it can export to Visio format.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep if you can get a copy of viso then I would go with that. many of the vendors have downloadable free "icons" for there products for viso so you can make some really nice diagrams. And as people say like to access and excel. If you end up doing diagrams for larger companies/customers then they will expect you to use it.

But of course you have to pay for it icon_sad.gif

I have played with the "free" ones and for simple (when i say simple I don't mean cheap looking) they produce fantastic results, and are much easier to pick up, a few of them will run directly of USB key, which is great when you are at a customers site and what to sketch some thing out for them.

I have even used "CISCO Packet tracer" to make up a network digram, it very simple but some times simple is all you need. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I have even used "CISCO Packet tracer" to make up a network digram, it very simple but some times simple is all you need. :)

I've done this as well. It can be interesting to visualize packet movement. The problem here is the limitation of gear and add ons within the packet tracer software.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Visio, but it has to be Pro. Visio standard does not have the network elements.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Visio.

Might as well chime in with what everyone else uses. I use mine to design floor layouts, network room wiring. It's well worth the money.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Since Visio seems to be the unofficial standard, I'm gonna go with it. I have it already with Office but never installed it and didn't have a chance to yesterday, I'll get it installed tonight. Thanks for the posts, good to know what people use and what customers and other people in the industry will expect me to use.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gliffy.

Although, I do like Visio.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the very few times I actually had to design a diagram...Only used Visio Pro

Netpict looks cool for a free utility though
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using Omnigraffle Pro for Mac OS X .

I like Dia , not sure if/how the diagrams can be opened and saved by other diagramming software.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ccnxjr wrote: »

I like Dia , not sure if/how the diagrams can be opened and saved by other diagramming software.

I like Dia as well, but unfortunately, it does suffer from a portability problem. The only option for portability is to export it to an image file. I use it every once in awhile for a quick diagram I'm going to print and mark up, but that's it.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    I have it already with Office but never installed it and didn't have a chance to yesterday, I'll get it installed tonight.

Visio is a standalone product, it's not included with the MS Office suite license (or media). What's included with the Office suite is the Visio viewer. You need to buy Visio separatedly from Office suite.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    Oooh, okay. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    +1 for Omnigraffle! and +1 for Visio on a PC based system. I have used both, but mainly Visio at work. I've drawn up some diagrams of my work network plus my home network.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    Visio is a standalone product, it's not included with the MS Office suite license (or media). What's included with the Office suite is the Visio viewer. You need to buy Visio separatedly from Office suite.

Or...assuming you aren't using it for business/production purposes...you could get yourself a TechNet subscription for less money and have a licensed copy of Visio Pro plus anything else that Microsoft has released in the past 10 years.
  • Options
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Or...assuming you aren't using it for business/production purposes...you could get yourself a TechNet subscription for less money and have a licensed copy of Visio Pro plus anything else that Microsoft has released in the past 10 years.

$299 for TechNet... as opposed to $399+ for Visio Pro 2010.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    $299 for TechNet... as opposed to $399+ for Visio Pro 2010.
    If you're a student, you can get the "academic" price of Visio Pro 2010 for $154.95:

Microsoft Visio Professional 2010 (Academic) for Win with Academic Discount at JourneyEd.com
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    If you're a student, you can get the "academic" price of Visio Pro 2010 for $154.95:

Microsoft Visio Professional 2010 (Academic) for Win with Academic Discount at JourneyEd.com

Or there's that option...didn't know that.
  • Options
    SyznewskiSyznewski Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Visio, although I would switch for something more specialized for network diagramming.
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Lucidchart, has anything i need, but yes visio is the standard on that field

https://www.lucidchart.com
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Visio does the trick
    Never let your fear decide your fate....