Options

IP routing turned on - then what?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys I am trying to setup a gw on a L3 switch at a branch office and want to make sure
once i turn on IP routing on the switch what should I expect?
will it funk out and lock all vlans up? I just want to know what to expect? should I have some kind of defaut route setup
it does have a management vlan setup already but what should I expect after I turn it on. I do not want to guess
it is a projection switch..thanks guys.
icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Are you wanting the switch to act like a router or just have a default gateway on it?
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    It is going to have a bunch of vlan gateway interfaces, ip routes and static routes but that is it.

I am trying to make it a Core L3 gateway of sorts but it will do dymanic routing as well but I do not want it
    to have access control lists. I looked at the switch I am trying to mimic and did a show ip access and it brought up nothing.
    so I do not want ACLs on it just want to use it to dynamically route and for intervlan etc... so if I enable routing
    it won't make it just like a router will it? and if that is true what would cause it to respect ACLs??? or like you said put it in router mode? I just want to make gateway vlan interfaces, static routes and have a dynamic routing protocol on it?
    so what do you think?
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's late in the day here, and reading what you said hurt my brain.
    As far as I can tell:
    you've got different VLANs
    you want to be able route between them
    you don't want to apply ACLs?
    IP routing will allow the routing between the VLANs - it doesn't change it from being a switch to only a router, it just turns on the routing at the same time, so you get the benefit of both! :) Allows us to route between the VLANs on the same switch, without an external router (router on a stick Vs L3 switch).

If you're not exchanging routing updates to (an)other L3 switch/routers, then you don't need to run the dynamic protocol with those statics.
  • Options
    MickQ; yeah it is hard to describe what I mean without talking to you but you got it right. I kind of thought so but I like to check
    to make sure. I kind of thought it will be fine. And yep the routes will be exhanged with the gateway router yep.
    Thanks for help. I appreciate your time. It is hard sometimes to explain what I mean. I am still learning..thank you bud!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    No worries, we're all learning :)

BTW, don't be afraid to use an ACL or two to separate traffic. A good design is always worth the time invested. ;)
  • Options
    sounds good Mick..I like your combo certs; I might take that route. studying CCNA voic and CCNP now ;)
    thanks mate!
  • Options
    No bother. I'm working on CCDA, CCNA voice, and easing into MS exchange. Lots of fun.
    You might find some of the CCNP Switch material of use with the Voice.
  • Options
    i noticed that about ccnp switch qos etc.. with ccna voice sweeet!
  • Options
    Yep, there's a fair bit in Switch that extends into the sideways CCNA (post R&S) exams.
  • Options
    I might do switch and then do CCNA voice ICOMM 8 and the route and tshoot in that order.
    cause my goal (long term) is CCNP, CCNP-V, CCNP-S. I would like to be for sure all 3. And then dreaming on to CCDP, CCIP and CCNP-Wifi
    then that should do it . then die! ahahaha LOL!