Options

Remote Assistance

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Quick question

I'm doing some research on Remote Assistance and was wondering a situation where a user wouldn't fall into one of these categories

***These are the connections utilized in Remote Assistance
  • IPv4
  • IPv6
  • UPnP NAT address
  • NAT traversal via Teredo
The first attempts are IPv4 then IPv6 then UPnP NAT and always last is NAT traversal via Teredo

This is where I get lost at. Would this apply to older routers usually?

According to the book I am reading if the last resort Teredo can't make a connection it's due to a router configured with symmetric NAT routing or a firewall enabled. I am assuming port restricting would prohibit this type of connection as well.

Thoughts? Just curious if anything else would prevent making a connection using Remote Assistance.

Comments

• Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    well Teredo is just for end users with IPv4 addresses only the router will NAT(its not true NAT as NAT is a IPv4 thing) them into a IPv6 address. well here is the issue what type of remote assistance is it? Is a URL based remote assistance or application based? Generally Application based remote assistance request establish a TCP connection so in turn symmetric NAT will be fine. But if it is URL symmetric will not work as a external host and can only begin communicating with the internal host if the internal client begin the connection.